Hunter's Prayer by Lilith Saintcrow

Hunter's Prayer

by Lilith Saintcrow

4412023,785 (3.89)4

Saintcrow is beyond talented with created dark and gritty Urban Fantasy worlds. Her violent characters are forced to dive over the gray lines and make connections with the purely evil. She crosses grim lines other Urban Fantasy authors don’t cross, which is what makes her books so ridiculously addictive to me.

Unfortunately her other series, Dante Valentine, made me hate – hate – hate the protagonist. Jill Kismet is more likeable but she shares some of the dislikable strands. She gets on my nerves more here than the first book but still stays relatively appealing. Her actions don’t always add up in my book, but plots have always been pushed forward by unsavory actions by senseless characters.

Saul is present and kind of just there – there’s something flat and almost false about him this time around. Saintcrow did an annoying jump years into the future (she did that twice with the Valentine series too, must be something she likes to do, ugh.) Perry was fascinating as usual, can't really get what he's after fully.

The story for this one is more urgent, dark and twisted than its predecessor. I loved the ending, nice twists and it’s certainly a large battle that even Jill herself can’t win by herself. Dark stuff.
Overall it was just okay. I expected more because I was ready to leave off on the relationship pitfalls from the first book, but the jump ahead in time squashed that. The story is good but a little muddy sometimes. Not as good as the first, but the series still remains strong and addictive.
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Synopsis: Jill hasn't had any down time since spring - in fact, it seems that murder and mayhem are on the increase. Now the police are finding eviscerated bodies of young prostitutes; whatever is attacking them isn't human and doesn't fit into any of the known non-human categories. As usual, Jill thinks Percy knows what's going on but can't pin down his involvement. What she does know is that the priest is keeping secrets from her, and the Sorrow who killed her teacher is back in town.
Review: Another page turner from Saintcrow. Lots of blood and violence, but also a look at the need for someone to rely on and also how introspection is a two-edged sword. ( )
  DrLed | May 2, 2016 |
Ok, here goes round two for the Jill Kismet series and I must say I was impressed. For the most part I am getting a handle on how Saintcrow's world works. Some writers prefer their readers to work through the pieces they give them, leaving it up to the readers to form a full picture. I haven't read an author with this writing style in a while, but Saintcrow certainly has a way with words, an intense bunch of characters and plot twists.
I really really want to know why Jill made a deal with Perry though. It seems taboo for a hunter to do so, did Mikhail know she wouldn't be able to handle the nightside with out it? Did he know he was going to die?
My questions aside, this was a hell of a ride! I devoured this book when the first one took me a little while to sink into. We see another side to Kismet's psyche and she isn't as badass as she was in the first book. Well let me rephrase that, she was badass but not as unbreakable. I had fears that she would turn into an unstoppable force since she healed so damn fast in the first book, but Saintcrow added a healthy amount of balance this time around.
I am eager to continue reading this series. ( )
  Letora | Feb 7, 2015 |
Jill Kismet is chasing a killer who is eviscerating bodies, leaving only scant evidence but it's nasty supernatural stuff and she fears what's going to happy. Beside her she has the shapeshifter Saul and Perry the demon has his plans for her too, she owes him and he's going to make sure she pays.

I liked it, there were moments when I really wanted her to stop and think a bit harder and trust some people, but the author has established that she's not a trusting person. Still it's an interesting series that I'm curious to continue. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jan 6, 2015 |
??I am not a nice personƒ? ƒ?? Jill Kismet

Jill Kismet is a Hunter ƒ?? she keeps her city safe by tracking and destroying the creatures of the Nightside ƒ?? those things that come out of hell to prey on humans. The cops call on Jill when thereƒ??s a crime that seems to involve paranormal beings. Jill takes care of it while the cops cover it up. Jillƒ??s a badass ƒ?? she can beat up anybody ƒ?? but she also has some special powers of sorcery and healing which she got by making a bargain with a hellspawn named Perry. Perry keeps Jill alive and in return she gives him two hours of her ƒ??timeƒ? each month.

In Night Shift, the first book in Lilith Saintcrowƒ??s JILL KISMET series (reviewed by Robert), we met all the main characters, but you donƒ??t really need to read Night Shift to understand whatƒ??s going on in this second book, Hunterƒ??s Prayer. Saintcrow quickly catches up new readers and Jill is dealing with a new threat to the Nightside this time. Teenage prostitutes are being brutally murdered and eviscerated and their internal organs and eyeballs are being harvested. Jill is called in to solve the crime and itƒ??s soon clear that whatever is killing those girls is after Jill, too. Fortunately Jillƒ??s got backup from her sidekick lover, a werecat named Saul, and Perryƒ??s contributions are keeping her alive.

Read the rest:
http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/hunters-prayer/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
For Miriam Kriss, whose honor is impeccable
It's not the type of work you can put on a business card.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316001767, Mass Market Paperback)

Another night on the Nightside...An ancient evil looms over Santa Luz. Prostitutes are showing up dead and eviscerated. And Jill Kismet just might be able to get her revenge against an old enemy.

There's just one problem. Someone wants Jill dead--again. And if they have to open up Hell itself to kill her, they will.

Sometimes, even when you're Jill Kismet, you don't have a prayer...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:16 -0400)

Jill Kismet finds herself facing down a deadly creature out of legend and dealing with a woman from her past as she works with the police on a bizarre case involving the mutilation murders of young prostitutes.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,353,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible