Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde

Shades of Grey (edition 2010)

by Jasper Fforde

2,5581902,354 (4.07)1 / 359
Member:vwinsloe
Title:Shades of Grey
Authors:Jasper Fforde
Info:Hodder & Stoughton Ltd (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover
Rating:***

Shades of Grey: The Road to High Saffron by Jasper Fforde

Recently added bydigicura, hagertyhartfeldt, runningbeardbooks, RCW, private library, sandra.k.heinzman
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (shallihavemydwarf)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Othemts, one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: The dystopic comedy by by Jasper Fforde, not the adult novel read by housewives.
    The Island of the Colorblind and Cycad Island by Oliver Sacks (bertilak)
    Only Forward by Michael Marshall Smith (simon211175)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (Othemts)
    The Manual of Detection by Jedediah Berry (ahstrick)
    Theory of Colours by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (bertilak)
    bertilak: In particular, see Goethe's section on pathological colours.
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (KCLibrarian)
    KCLibrarian: Both books create believable societies unlike our own in some ways, but recognizably human in other ways. Both raise challenging societal questions and have some surprise twists and turns along the way. Both authors deftly ease their readers into the fantasy worlds they create, and by the time the story ends, leave readers wanting more.… (more)
    Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder (bucketyell)

English (188)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (191)
In this dystopian future, a person's social standing is determined by what color of the spectrum they can perceive. Eddie Russet is part of a the Red clan. The Russet's have been trying to rebuild their hue for generations and Eddie might be the reddest red in years. His strategic marriage will officially restore his family's rank among the Reds. The only problem? He doesn't love Constance Oxblood, his half-promised sweetheart. That wasn't a problem until he meets a girl named Jane. Jane is a Grey. She can't see any colors, which makes her essentially a slave. But Jane is just too interesting for Eddie to pass up. His ill-starred pursuit of her will take him beyond the bounds of polite society and reveal secrets that the government has long wished to keep hidden. ( )
  Juva | Apr 6, 2015 |
I hated this book at first. It's so random and disorienting that I couldn't get into the story. But I liked it after I gave up on trying to make logical sense of everything and just rolled with it. This book has a very unique storyline and crazy characters. Overall I would describe them as unlikable with the exception of Jane, and later on, Edward. The pace of the book is slow, but only because you have no idea where the story is going. I'm glad I stuck it out. By the end I felt more satisfied with the world building and my ability to picture it. I'm really excited to read the next book in the series. I listened to this as an audiobook and I really liked the narrator. He has a voice that goes with the absurd and strangely serious personalities of the characters. ( )
  ladonna37 | Feb 7, 2015 |
Description: Welcome to Chromatacia, where the societal hierarchy is strictly regulated by one's limited color perception. And Eddie Russet wants to move up. But his plans to leverage his better-than-average red perception and marry into a powerful family are quickly upended. Juggling inviolable rules, sneaky Yellows, and a risky friendship with an intriguing Grey named Jane who shows Eddie that the apparent peace of his world is as much an illusion as color itself, Eddie finds he must reckon with the cruel regime behind this gaily painted façade.

Thoughts: I seriously loved this when I read it in 2010 and, since I seem to be revisiting books lately, was excited to explore Chromatacia again with Eddie. I wasn't disappointed.

John Lee is not the best reader I've encountered but he was perfectly acceptable and didn't detract from the story. I actually think I picked up many more references this time around, although I would attribute that to 4 more years of brain betterment through reading than to listening to Mr. Lee's narration.

My only regret is that I choose to listen to this now. I've stoked the fires of my love for this story just in time to sit and wait and wait and wait for the next in the series to come out. It's killing me!

Rating: 4

Liked: 4
Plot: 4
Characterization: 4.5
Writing: 4
Audio: 3.5

https://www.librarything.com/topic/172068#4654737 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 20, 2015 |
The book starts off pretty goofy, but if you can get into it, the story is good. Warning: There are two sequels planned. (I did not realize this until the end.) ( )
  lavaturtle | Dec 31, 2014 |
Picked this up based on a recommendation from Patrick Rothfuss.
Some great world building but gave up after after half the book was done. ( )
  kaipakartik | Dec 17, 2014 |
In structure, Shades of Grey moves like most other books in the sci-fi/fantasy genre, but in tone, it has more in common with comic novels such as Catch-22.

Fforde is an author of immense imagination. Not satisfied with just a few layers of Dickensian jokes and revisions of the physical universe, he creates an archeological treasure trove for readers.

All this is serenely silly, but to dispel a black mood and chase away the blues, this witty novel offers an eye-popping spectrum of remedies.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus (Dec 15, 2009)

It's all brilliantly original, lf his complex world building sometimes slows the plot and the balance of silly and serious is uneasy, we're still completely won over.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Keir Graff (Dec 15, 2009)

Eddie navigates a vividly imagined landscape whose every facet is steeped in the author's remarkably detailed color scheme. Sometimes, though, it's hard to see the story for the chromotechnics.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Nov 23, 2009)

Jasper Ffordeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Buckley, PaulCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Garduno, KenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagin, DanielDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, StevenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is no light or colour as a fact in external nature. There is merely motion of material...When the light enters your eyes and falls on the retina, there is motion of material. Then your nerves are affected and your brain is affected, and again this is merely motion of material...The mind in apprehending experiences sensations which, properly speaking, are qualities of the mind alone. —Alfred North Whitehead
Tabitha
Welcoming you to the undeniably
enjoyable and generally underrated
sense of being known as existence
2.4.16.55.021: Males are to wear dress code #6 during inter-Collective travel. Hats are encouraged but not mandatory.
It began with my father not wanting to see the Last Rabbit and ended up with my being eaten by a carnivorous plant. It wasn't really what I'd planned for myself -- I'd hoped to marry into the Oxbloods and join their dynastic string empire. But that was four days ago, before I met Jane, retrieved the Caravaggio and explored High Saffron. So instead of enjoying aspirations of Chromatic advancement, I was wholly immersed within the digestive soup of a yataveo tree. It was all frightfully inconvenient.
Apart we are together.

Welcome to Chromatacia, where the Colortocracy rules society through a social hierarchy based upon one's limited color perception. In this world, you are what you can see.

But Eddie Russet wants to move up. When he and his father relocate to the backwater village of East Carmine, his carefully cultivated plans to leverage his better-than-average red perception and marry into a powerful family are quickly upended. Eddie must contend with lethal swans, sneaky Yellows, inviolable rules, an enforced marriage to hideous Violet deMauve, and a risky friendship with an intriguing Grey named Jane who shows Eddie that the apparent peace of his world is as much an illusion as color itself. Will Eddie be able to tread the fine line between total conformity—accepting the path, partner, and career delineated by his hue—and his instinctive curiosity that is bound to get him into trouble?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0670019631, Hardcover)

From the bestselling author of Thursday Next—a brilliant new novel about a world where social order and destiny are dictated by the colors you can see

Part social satire, part romance, part revolutionary thriller, Shades of Grey tells of a battle against overwhelming odds. In a society where the ability to see the higher end of the color spectrum denotes a better social standing, Eddie Russet belongs to the low-level House of Red and can see his own color—but no other. The sky, the grass, and everything in between are all just shades of grey, and must be colorized by artificial means.

Eddie's world wasn't always like this. There's evidence of a never-discussed disaster and now, many years later, technology is poor, news sporadic, the notion of change abhorrent, and nighttime is terrifying: no one can see in the dark. Everyone abides by a bizarre regime of rules and regulations, a system of merits and demerits, where punishment can result in permanent expulsion.

Eddie, who works for the Color Control Agency, might well have lived out his rose-tinted life without a hitch. But that changes when he becomes smitten with Jane, a Grey Nightseer from the dark, unlit side of the village. She shows Eddie that all is not well with the world he thinks is just and good. Together, they engage in dangerous revolutionary talk.

Stunningly imaginative, very funny, tightly plotted, and with sly satirical digs at our own society, this novel is for those who loved Thursday Next but want to be transported somewhere equally wild, only darker; a world where the black and white of moral standpoints have been reduced to shades of grey.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:57 -0400)

Welcome to Chromatacia, where for as long as anyone can remember society has been ruled by a Colortocracy. Social hierachy is based upon one's limited color perception. society is dominated by color. In this world, you are what you can see, and Eddie Russett, a better-than-average red perception wants to move up.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,726,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible