Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde

Shades of Grey (edition 2010)

by Jasper Fforde

3,2832422,544 (4.1)1 / 392
Member:mpettitt
Title:Shades of Grey
Authors:Jasper Fforde
Info:Hodder (2010), Kindle Edition, 449 pages

Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde

Recently added byrkcraig88, beboyle, JeanIonic, weird_O, jillbone, private library, DimityEvans, Mo3rgan, JacInABook
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (shallihavemydwarf)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Othemts, TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: The dystopic comedy by by Jasper Fforde, not the adult novel read by housewives.
    The Island of the Colorblind by Oliver Sacks (bertilak)
    Only Forward by Michael Marshall Smith (simon211175)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (Othemts)
    The Manual of Detection by Jedediah Berry (ahstrick)
    Theory of Colours by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (bertilak)
    bertilak: In particular, see Goethe's section on pathological colours.
    Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder (Yells)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (KCLibrarian)
    KCLibrarian: Both books create believable societies unlike our own in some ways, but recognizably human in other ways. Both raise challenging societal questions and have some surprise twists and turns along the way. Both authors deftly ease their readers into the fantasy worlds they create, and by the time the story ends, leave readers wanting more.… (more)

English (240)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (244)
My favorite Fforde book.

WARNING: The series has NOT advanced.
It is foolish to be impatient with a world-builder as prolific as Fforde, and the rest of his books are also wonderful, but this is the world I want more of. As an early reader, I went through all the stages of waiting: first impatience, imagined stoicism, real impatience, anger, composure, rage, frustration, melancholy, hopelessness, firefly, hope, despair, patience, numbness, and acceptance. He may never go back to this series, to my great regret, but it is still worth reading, even if your heart will break. Worth it. ( )
  Eoin | Jun 3, 2019 |
I really enjoyed reading this book. I stayed up late to finish it, which I haven't done in a while. It reminded me of the movie "Brazil": a dystopian society in the future based on ridiculous bureaucracy. Fforde does a good job of creating a whole world and guiding the reader through its bizarre customs and characters at just the right pace.

I had to give it five stars because I had so much fun reading it and I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel. ( )
  joshuagomez | May 31, 2019 |
Once again Jasper Fforde is on top form with this first book of a trilogy. There's a bit of a harder edge to this new world, but the humour of the Thursday Next and Nursery Crime series is still apparent. Set 600 years in the future, after a mystery apocalyptic event, the whole basis of society is colour and more importantly what colour you can see. It's an intriguing twist on the whole class system with sinister undertones. A brilliant read that just left me wanting more and I'm going to be counting the days until the next installment comes out. ( )
  Yorkshirelass70 | May 27, 2019 |
A fun read, like all of his books. I'll be looking forward to the next installment in this series, while I continue to patiently (ha!) wait for the next Thursday Next book. ( )
  robeena | Mar 17, 2019 |
My favorite book I've read thus far in my life. The level of intricacy and attention to detail that Jasper Fforde employs blows me away every time I read it. The concept of creating a society based off of the colors people can perceive is such a clever and unique idea. I cannot wait for the sequels. ( )
1 vote Perlsowisdom | Mar 16, 2019 |
In structure, Shades of Grey moves like most other books in the sci-fi/fantasy genre, but in tone, it has more in common with comic novels such as Catch-22.

Fforde is an author of immense imagination. Not satisfied with just a few layers of Dickensian jokes and revisions of the physical universe, he creates an archeological treasure trove for readers.

All this is serenely silly, but to dispel a black mood and chase away the blues, this witty novel offers an eye-popping spectrum of remedies.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus (Dec 15, 2009)

It's all brilliantly original, lf his complex world building sometimes slows the plot and the balance of silly and serious is uneasy, we're still completely won over.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Keir Graff (Dec 15, 2009)

Eddie navigates a vividly imagined landscape whose every facet is steeped in the author's remarkably detailed color scheme. Sometimes, though, it's hard to see the story for the chromotechnics.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Nov 23, 2009)

Jasper Ffordeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Buckley, PaulCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Garduno, KenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagin, DanielDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, StevenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is no light or colour as a fact in external nature. There is merely motion of material...When the light enters your eyes and falls on the retina, there is motion of material. Then your nerves are affected and your brain is affected, and again this is merely motion of material...The mind in apprehending experiences sensations which, properly speaking, are qualities of the mind alone. —Alfred North Whitehead
Tabitha
Welcoming you to the undeniably
enjoyable and generally underrated
sense of being known as existence
2.4.16.55.021: Males are to wear dress code #6 during inter-Collective travel. Hats are encouraged but not mandatory.
It began with my father not wanting to see the Last Rabbit and ended up with my being eaten by a carnivorous plant. It wasn't really what I'd planned for myself—I'd hoped to marry into the Oxbloods and join their dynastic string empire. But that was four days ago, before I met Jane, retrieved the Caravaggio and explored High Saffron. So instead of enjoying aspirations of Chromatic advancement, I was wholly immersed within the digestive soup of a yataveo tree. It was all frightfully inconvenient.
Apart we are together.

Welcome to Chromatacia, where the Colortocracy rules society through a social hierarchy based upon one's limited color perception. In this world, you are what you can see.

But Eddie Russet wants to move up. When he and his father relocate to the backwater village of East Carmine, his carefully cultivated plans to leverage his better-than-average red perception and marry into a powerful family are quickly upended. Eddie must contend with lethal swans, sneaky Yellows, inviolable rules, an enforced marriage to hideous Violet deMauve, and a risky friendship with an intriguing Grey named Jane who shows Eddie that the apparent peace of his world is as much an illusion as color itself. Will Eddie be able to tread the fine line between total conformity—accepting the path, partner, and career delineated by his hue—and his instinctive curiosity that is bound to get him into trouble?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0670019631, Hardcover)

From the bestselling author of Thursday Next—a brilliant new novel about a world where social order and destiny are dictated by the colors you can see

Part social satire, part romance, part revolutionary thriller, Shades of Grey tells of a battle against overwhelming odds. In a society where the ability to see the higher end of the color spectrum denotes a better social standing, Eddie Russet belongs to the low-level House of Red and can see his own color—but no other. The sky, the grass, and everything in between are all just shades of grey, and must be colorized by artificial means.

Eddie's world wasn't always like this. There's evidence of a never-discussed disaster and now, many years later, technology is poor, news sporadic, the notion of change abhorrent, and nighttime is terrifying: no one can see in the dark. Everyone abides by a bizarre regime of rules and regulations, a system of merits and demerits, where punishment can result in permanent expulsion.

Eddie, who works for the Color Control Agency, might well have lived out his rose-tinted life without a hitch. But that changes when he becomes smitten with Jane, a Grey Nightseer from the dark, unlit side of the village. She shows Eddie that all is not well with the world he thinks is just and good. Together, they engage in dangerous revolutionary talk.

Stunningly imaginative, very funny, tightly plotted, and with sly satirical digs at our own society, this novel is for those who loved Thursday Next but want to be transported somewhere equally wild, only darker; a world where the black and white of moral standpoints have been reduced to shades of grey.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:21 -0400)

Welcome to Chromatacia, where for as long as anyone can remember society has been ruled by a Colortocracy. Social hierachy is based upon one's limited color perception. society is dominated by color. In this world, you are what you can see, and Eddie Russett, a better-than-average red perception wants to move up.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jasper Fforde's book Shades of Grey was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,299,731 books! | Top bar: Always visible