Memoirs of an Ordinary Pastor: The Life and…

Memoirs of an Ordinary Pastor: The Life and Reflections of Tom Carson

by D. A. Carson

A very simple book, and all the better for that. Carson traces an outline of his father's ministry as an "ordinary" pastor, and in doing so reminds us all that faithfulness and godliness and the two most important virtues in any Christian. Well worth reading for all Christians, and especially for pastors. ( )
  markbarnes | May 19, 2013 |
I would have rated this book higher but it lacks clear direction. What does Don really want to communicate about his father that will impact pastors today? Many of the details may have been of interest to Don as he read his father's journal but they are not interesting to the reader. Much more could have been said about pastoring in Quebec but is not. Much more could have been said about Tom's life as an "ordinary pastor" but is not. I'm not sure who I would recommend this book to. It is of some interest to those working in Quebec but not entirely and of some interest to pastors in general but again not entirely. ( )
  True54Blue | Feb 8, 2011 |
D. A. Carson does a very good job in this biography of his father. The purpose is to encourage ordinary pastors through the retelling and analyzing of his father's life and ministry, a man who was an ordinary pastor.

Carson succeeds in his goal.

Carson's style includes historical background, journal entries, narrating as a son and as a biographer, recollections of his siblings, and a bit of editorializing.

It's a short book and an easy read that I enjoyed each time I picked it up. I moved through a chapter or two each night before bed and wasn't often tempted to put it down to get some shut-eye. In fact, I tended to skim to see if I might be able to squeeze in an extra chapter before turning in for the night. ( )
  dvalliere | Mar 19, 2010 |
Memoirs is one of the greatest books I have read. Tom was a humble servant of the living God who struggled with his own insufficiencies and his personal weakness. I was greatly encouraged by his unheralded faithfulness through decades of apparent fruitless toil. I wept as I read his writings to his late wife of fifty years, "Ah, Margaret, we will see each other again, and you will no longer remember the multitude of my failures that stand before me now, the failures for which I am deeply culpable, the unfaithfulness of my life as a pastor-missionary..."Behold, I make all things new" I shall see Him face to face." And tell the story of Grace. He will wipe away every tear, and the enormity of my sin, of my sins, he will remember no more forever-for the blood of Jesus, the precious blood cleanseth even me from my sins. Oh, that I might never sin again. And one day I shall not, for I shall see Him face to face, and I shall be like Him, for I shall see Him as He is. "I have but one supreme desire, That I might be like Jesus" Margaret will see me as one who is holy, pure, good, lovable." Mr. Carson, thank you for a life well lived. ( )
1 vote cjpartyka | Jan 27, 2009 |
This is an encouragement to stay faithful in ministry. Don Carson gives an account of his father's faithful ministry in Canada during the middle of the 20th century. Carson draws extensively from his father's journal and presents a picture of a man who while far from perfect was used of God effectively. Tom Carson never had a large congregation, but was content to do his best in the field that God called him to.
I recommend this to every man that is in ministry and apt to be discouraged. ( )
  PstTBG | Dec 20, 2008 |
Thomas Donald McMillan Carson

26 August 1911—26 October 1992

Elizabeth Margaret Maybury Carson

6 January 1909—31 December 1989

In memoriam

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,531,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible