Murder Is Binding by Lorna Barrett

Murder Is Binding (2008)

by Lorna Barrett

Series: A Booktown Mystery (1)

Stoneham, New Hampshire town facing financial ruin has reinvented itself as a “book lovers” destination. Each store on Main Street is devoted to books. A book store that sells mysteries, a book store that sells cookbooks, a book store that sells history books, etc.
The owner of The Cookery is stabbed in the back, her body left in her store and the carpet set on fire. Trish, the owner of Haven’t Got a Clue the bookstore devoted to mysteries old and new finds Doris’ body. Now the Sheriff is trying to pin the murder on Trish.
A cozy mystery. I read book 8 first and was confused by the characters and so came back to find the beginning of the series, I recommend the series be read-in-order. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Nov 12, 2017 |
This is a strong beginning to the Booktown series, and a cozy lover's dream! A small New England town dedicates a whole village to bookstores, each with a theme (mysteries, cooking, etc.). Rare and unique editions are the town's bread and butter, and when it appears that someone is murdered for a rare cookbook, the owner of the mystery book store becomes a suspect. There are plenty of colorful and diverse characters, as well as several subplots in this book that make it an interesting and a fun read. ( )
  mandolin77 | Sep 21, 2017 |
Very nice entry as the first book in the series. Characters are very believable. Mystery was a bit predictable. I hope that the series will grow as more books are published. ( )
  IceQueenTN | Aug 19, 2017 |
Just before starting this book, I had to give up on a cozy mystery that I could not get interested in but after reading the first page of Murder is Binding by Lorna Barrett, I knew that right away that I was hooked. I can always count on wonderful quirky characters, a mystery full of twists, great dialogues and a place where I would love to live and interact with the characters. Lorna Bartlett never ever lets me down!

Trisha Miles is recently divorced moves to Stoneham, New Hampshire and wants a new beginning in her life. So she starts up a mystery book shop. She already has one employee, Ginny Wilson and a charming and dependable customer who never buys but always shows up on time, Mr. Everett. She has a love/hate (stronger on the hate) relationship with her older sister, Angelica, who announces that she is moving to Stoneham. We learn a lot about the background of their relationship.

Next door to Trisha’s shop is Doris Gleason’s Cook Book Store. When Trisha first meets her, she is pushing for organizing a protest for the high rents for the shops. Trisha finds her dead with a kitchen knife in her back. For some reason to be figured out later, the sheriff thinks that Trisha did it. More characters are introduced but as the events roll on, the town people starts to believe that the sheriff is right, except of course for those closest to her.

The mystery is engaging and good and evil struggle on these pages. There several typical several family situations that the characters have to deal with.

I highly recommend Murder is Binding and have already added the other books in this series to my wish list. ( )
  Carolee888 | Sep 11, 2016 |

Just what I needed to break up reading the serious books I'm in the middle of - a worthy cozy.

Stoneham, New Hampshire sounds like an epic little town - a bookish area that is covered with bookstores given by theme. Loved the names of the stores: The Cookery for cookbooks; Haven't got a clue for the mystery store and protagonist, Trish; History Repeats itself for the history; Have a heart for romance. How fun that little town would be.

The protagonist is a likable enough sort - she loves books, so that's already a brownie point. Tricia even has a pet cat, Miss Marple, which is a fun touch. The only issue I held with her is she's a little judgmental about her sister - the woman may be flawed, but it got irritating and not enough plausible reason to carry it that far. Her knowledge of mystery helps her solve crimes and was enjoyable to bring up some famous sleuth books. The theme worked better than the protagonist, although I'm hoping she'll grow on me a little more with sequels.

I guessed one of the culprits a little over halfway through - author threw in too many hints - but it was still a fun book. Not perfect of course, some of these crimes can't be pulled off to full realism and it's not gripping for those who are used to mysteries and solve them easily. The detective who is determined to press the blame on Tricia was a little stereotypical, but for a cozy it worked well enough. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |

Lorna Barrettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Corless, Laura K.Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fasolino, TeresaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kolsky, DianaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Valerie Bartlett
Thank you for introducing me to the wonderful world of mystery novels.
'I tell you, Trish, we're
all victims.'
Tricia turned away. 'I'm starving. I haven't had a thing to eat since breakfast. Where's the bakery bag? There must be a few cookies left.'

'Sorry,' Angelica apologized. 'I ate the last one just before you came back.'

Suddenly fratricide seemed like a wonderful solution to all life's problems. (chapter 21)

Stoneham, New Hampshire, was a dying town until community leaders invited booksellers to open shop. Now, its streets are lined with bookstores--and paved with murder…

When she moved to Stoneham, city-slicker Tricia Miles was met with friendly faces. And when she opened her mystery bookstore, she met with friendly competition. But when she finds Doris Gleason dead in her own cookbook store, killed by a carving knife, the atmosphere seems more cutthroat than cordial. Someone wanted to get their hands on the rare cookbook that Doris had recently purchased--and the locals think that someone is Tricia. To clear her name, Tricia will have to take a page out of one of her own mysteries--and hunt down someone who isn’t killing by the book…

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425219585, Mass Market Paperback)

The streets of Stoneham, New Hampsire are lined with bookstores...and paved with murder.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:03 -0400)

When she moved to Stoneham, city slicker Tricia Miles met nothing but friendly faces. And when she opened her mystery bookstore, she met friendly competition. But when she finds Doris Gleason dead in her own cookbook store, killed by a carving knife, the atmosphere seems more cutthroat than cordial. Someone wanted to get their hands on the rare cookbook that Doris had recently purchased-and the locals think that someone is Tricia. To clear her name, Tricia will have to take a page out of one of her own mysteries-and hunt down someone who isn't killing by the book.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,631,898 books! | Top bar: Always visible