House on the Hill by Estelle Pinney

House on the Hill

by Estelle Pinney

I read this as part of the National Year of Reading http://www.love2read.org.au/our-story.cfm challenge.

Oh dear. It's not my sort of book at all I'm afraid. I was very tempted to give it up after the first chapter. But I have this strange sense of duty to books - not to judge them too harshly and to give them the benefit of the doubt. This one can definitely be judged by its cover.

I did manage to read it to the end so I guess I should give it a star just for that but ...really...455 pages was a slog. It is not one that I will put down in the annals of time as being a fabulous read.

If you want something light and not demanding to read by the beach - this is probably for you. But I'm afraid I found it inane and a bit of what I think might be called a pot-boiler.

It is conventional, predictable and smacks of a soapy.

Here is an extract to give you an idea.

"He then eased onto the bed, the tiny flame in the lamp flickering out as love and passion were consummated in deep velvet darkness to the rising crescendo of rain and wind."

Sigh. I'm such a cynic - but really - it's very Mills and Boon.

I'd love to know the selection process that went into this reading challenge. The books seem wildly varying in quality I must say. ( )
  alexdaw | Dec 28, 2011 |
Townsville and its monsoon season provides a romantic setting for this saga of sisters. ( )
  TownsvilleLib | Feb 12, 2010 |
This was an enjoyable read. The scenery of north Queensland and the likable characters make for a good Australian saga. ( )
  sweetphudge | Oct 5, 2009 |
This is a wonderful book that is based in Far North Queensland about three sisters who live together in a large house in the 1920's. They've all had their hearts broken, lost jobs or are just down on their luck and have come home to recover before going back out into the world again.

I really do love this book as it's quintessential Australian... it even has Pineapple Sandwiches; a favourite snack of the author's in it. ( )
  Mozette | Aug 16, 2009 |

This heart-warming and colourful novel about the power of dreams brings to life Australia's exotic far north of days gone by, with its vibrant mix of cultures and personalities. 'House on the hill' follows three sisters' joys and heartbreaks - and the difficult choices they have to make that change their lives forever.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,252,313 books! | Top bar: Always visible