Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Story about Ping (1933)

by Marjorie Flack

Other authors: Kurt Wiese (Illustrator)

A little duck finds adventure on the Yangtze River when he is too late to board his master's houseboat one evening.

English (56)  French (1)  All languages (57)
Since 1933, The Story About Ping has captivated generations of readers. No one can deny the appeal of the book's hero, Ping, the spirited little duck who lives on a boat on the Yangtze River. Ping's misadventures one night while exploring the world around his home form the basis of this timeless classic, which is brought to life by Kurt Wiese's warm and poignant illustrations.
This is the classic story about Ping, a little duck, who finds adventure on the Yantze River. One evening he does not want to be the last one to board his master's houseboat. Readers will be anxious to see how his individuality shines through. -- Scholastic, Inc.
  EKiddieKollege | Aug 14, 2020 |
First published in 1933, Ping is a colorfully illustrated story about a domesticated Chinese duck lost on the Yangtze River.
  riselibrary_CSUC | Jul 24, 2020 |
The Story of Ping is a Chinese story by Marjorie Flack and Kurt Wiese about how a young and beautiful duck named Ping gets lost in the Yangtze River after he tries to avoid punishment of being late. 1993
  riselibrary_CSUC | Jul 5, 2020 |
The art in this is very basic, but it was nonetheless one of my favourites as a kid. I can't look at Chinese runner ducks to this day without thinking of Ping. There's a group of them at the Melbourne Zoo and they please me WAY too much! ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
I vaguely remember reading this book as a child. I enjoyed it then but now have more reservations about the "master" and overall story line. I can't say I like the last duck on the houseboat always gets whacked. There will always be a duck at the end, therefore the master seems to enjoy the "spanking". Ping is so afraid of getting whacked he hides and is left behind. The depiction of the Chinese is also outdated and should be left in the last century. Sad to realize a book I used to love is not one I want children to read, unless it's to show what not to do. I love the illustrations and that brings up my rating a little. ( )
  EMiMIB | Aug 5, 2019 |

Flack, Marjorieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wiese, KurtIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time there was a beautiful young duck named Ping.

A little duck finds adventure on the Yangtze River when he avoided boarding his master's houseboat one evening.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,450,704 books! | Top bar: Always visible