The Story About Ping by Marjorie Flack

The Story About Ping (original 1933; edition 1977)

by Marjorie Flack

Member:herebedragons
Title:The Story About Ping
Authors:Marjorie Flack
Info:Puffin (1977), Edition: Reissue; Open Market Ed, Paperback
Collections:Your library, To read
Rating:***
Tags:children, fiction, read, 1970s

The Story About Ping by Marjorie Flack (1933)

Recently added byprivate library, mejerrymouse, katrinapongco, Balailey, strongasanoak

English (28)  French (1)  All languages (29)
In this story there are many ducks that live on a boat. Each day, the last duck to return to the boat gets thumped on the bottom by the boat owner as punishment for being late. Not wanting to be punished Ping gets lost and almost eaten by a family that finds him. The young boy from the family frees him before he can be eaten. Ping then sees his family and despite knowing he will be punished for being late, rejoins his family on the boat.
Extension activites-1. Discuss how rivers play an important role in many different cultures. 2. Discuss how Ping took his punishment and whether punishment for these little duck is necessary or if it is a cultural difference that we maybe don't understand. ( )
  hellwanger | Jul 7, 2014 |
This was another one of my favorite books when I was a child. I enjoyed being able to read it again. One thing I like about this book is how simple and clear the illustrations are. You can tell exactly what is happening, and the illustrator even conveys the changing light throughout the day. I also like that the story is about a duck, just because I think ducks are adorable. The premise of the book is pretty simple, and I think is something children can relate to: "Ping was always careful, very very careful not to be last, because the last duck to cross over the bridge always got a spank on the back." Ping was scared of being spanked by the person who owned the boat he lives on, so he does not get on the boat, but ends up losing his family. The big idea of this story is even if you get punished sometimes your family will still love you and be happy to have you with them. ( )
  lstec2 | Apr 10, 2014 |
NEA named book one of Top 100 Teacher-recommended books. Great early reading book. My daughter had it when she was little.
  TracyStrong | Nov 19, 2013 |
This was one of my favorite books when I was a child. I also had a number of the country books illustrated by Kurt Weise, which I also enjoyed. The story of the naughty, inquisitive little Ping still works with children today and also gives them a look at the China of decades ago. Themes include "you don’t know what you have until it’s gone,” and “there’s no place like home.” Subject related activities include history, geography (Yangtze River), and art among others. Recommended for school and public library collections.
  David-Z | Oct 27, 2013 |
Ping by Marjorie Flack and Kurt Wiese, tells of a little duck named Ping and his very large family. Ping and his family live on the Yangtze river in a wise-eyed boat. Each day they hunt for their food and at sunset their keeper calls them in for the night. However, the last duck always gets a slap on the back so none of the ducks want to be the last one on the boat. One day Ping did not hear the keeper calling all of the ducks in because he was under the water. By the time that he realized that it was time to go he would have been the last one on the boat. He did not want that slap on the back so he slept on the land in a bed of tall grass. The next day when he woke he was unable to find his family so he started to float the river. Ping was trapped by a boy that was in the water. The family wanted to eat Ping for dinner; however, the little boy freed him before he could be cooked. When Ping was let go he saw his family's book but almost everyone was already on the boat. Even though he knew that he would get the slam for being the last one on the boat, he did not care because he got to go home.

Personal Views:
I really enjoyed this book. I think that it teaches children to not wonder off without there family. I also love the fact it showcases the different cultures by showing different forms of transportation. It also shows how important the rivers are for they people that live on them.

Extensions:
1. Do research on the different rivers in the east and how the people rely on them.
2. Create vocabulary words from the book.
  kk903148 | Oct 23, 2013 |

Flack, Marjorieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wiese, KurtIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time there was a beautiful young duck named Ping.

A little duck finds adventure on the Yangtze River when he avoided boarding his master's houseboat one evening.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0448421658, Mass Market Paperback)

The tale of a little duck alone on the Yangtze River, The Story About Ping is a sweet and funny book with wonderfully rich and colorful illustrations. On a day like any other, Ping sets off from the boat he calls home with his comically large family in search of "pleasant things to eat." On this particular day, he is accidentally left behind when the boat leaves. Undaunted, the little duck heads out onto the Yangtze in search of his family, only to find new friends and adventures--and a bit of peril--around every bend.

The exceptional illustrations bring the lush Yangtze to life, from Ping's family to the trained fishing birds he finds himself among to the faithfully rendered boats and fishermen. Certainly intended to be read aloud, The Story About Ping deserves a place on every young reader's (or listener's) shelf. (Picture book)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:00 -0400)

A little duck finds adventure on the Yangtze River when he is too late to board his master's houseboat one evening.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,712,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible