The Story About Ping by Marjorie Flack

The Story About Ping (original 1933; edition 1977)

by Marjorie Flack

Member:herebedragons
Title:The Story About Ping
Authors:Marjorie Flack
Info:Puffin (1977), Edition: Reissue; Open Market Ed, Paperback
Collections:Your library, To read
Rating:***
Tags:children, fiction, read, 1970s

The Story About Ping by Marjorie Flack (1933)

English (29)  French (1)  All languages (30)
This book tells the story of a duck named Ping who gets separated from his family and his short adventure to get back to them. This happens because he does not want to get spanked by the his owner for being the last duck to get on the boat. The book is cute and kind of funny, but I am not sure I can see students really getting into it. Early elementary students possibly may enjoy the story though. Looking at a school setting this book could be used for its pictures and the cultural difference it shows. A class discussion on these topics, and possibly punishment could be easily arranged after a reading about Ping. Again, it was a pretty good book, but I believe there are others that are more suited for engaging today's students. ( )
  LizeGarber | Nov 3, 2014 |
In this story there are many ducks that live on a boat. Each day, the last duck to return to the boat gets thumped on the bottom by the boat owner as punishment for being late. Not wanting to be punished Ping gets lost and almost eaten by a family that finds him. The young boy from the family frees him before he can be eaten. Ping then sees his family and despite knowing he will be punished for being late, rejoins his family on the boat.
Extension activites-1. Discuss how rivers play an important role in many different cultures. 2. Discuss how Ping took his punishment and whether punishment for these little duck is necessary or if it is a cultural difference that we maybe don't understand. ( )
  hellwanger | Jul 7, 2014 |
This was another one of my favorite books when I was a child. I enjoyed being able to read it again. One thing I like about this book is how simple and clear the illustrations are. You can tell exactly what is happening, and the illustrator even conveys the changing light throughout the day. I also like that the story is about a duck, just because I think ducks are adorable. The premise of the book is pretty simple, and I think is something children can relate to: "Ping was always careful, very very careful not to be last, because the last duck to cross over the bridge always got a spank on the back." Ping was scared of being spanked by the person who owned the boat he lives on, so he does not get on the boat, but ends up losing his family. The big idea of this story is even if you get punished sometimes your family will still love you and be happy to have you with them. ( )
  lstec2 | Apr 10, 2014 |
NEA named book one of Top 100 Teacher-recommended books. Great early reading book. My daughter had it when she was little.
  TracyStrong | Nov 19, 2013 |
This was one of my favorite books when I was a child. I also had a number of the country books illustrated by Kurt Weise, which I also enjoyed. The story of the naughty, inquisitive little Ping still works with children today and also gives them a look at the China of decades ago. Themes include "you don’t know what you have until it’s gone,” and “there’s no place like home.” Subject related activities include history, geography (Yangtze River), and art among others. Recommended for school and public library collections.
  David-Z | Oct 27, 2013 |

Flack, Marjorieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wiese, KurtIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time there was a beautiful young duck named Ping.

A little duck finds adventure on the Yangtze River when he avoided boarding his master's houseboat one evening.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0448421658, Mass Market Paperback)

The tale of a little duck alone on the Yangtze River, The Story About Ping is a sweet and funny book with wonderfully rich and colorful illustrations. On a day like any other, Ping sets off from the boat he calls home with his comically large family in search of "pleasant things to eat." On this particular day, he is accidentally left behind when the boat leaves. Undaunted, the little duck heads out onto the Yangtze in search of his family, only to find new friends and adventures--and a bit of peril--around every bend.

The exceptional illustrations bring the lush Yangtze to life, from Ping's family to the trained fishing birds he finds himself among to the faithfully rendered boats and fishermen. Certainly intended to be read aloud, The Story About Ping deserves a place on every young reader's (or listener's) shelf. (Picture book)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:00 -0400)

A little duck finds adventure on the Yangtze River when he is too late to board his master's houseboat one evening.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,458,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible