the story about ping by Marjorie Flack

the story about ping (original 1933; edition 1961)

by Marjorie Flack, Kurt Wiese

Member:Kayla_Christopherson
Title:the story about ping
Authors:Marjorie Flack
Other authors:Kurt Wiese
Info:Viking Press (1961), Edition: Book Club (BCE/BOMC), Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Historical fiction

The Story about Ping by Marjorie Flack (1933)

English (51)  French (1)  All languages (52)
Super cute story about a little duckling named Ping. Ping and his extended family live on an boat but Ping gets left behind because he chose to stay behind in order not to get a smack on the behind for being last to return to the boat. Ping experiences some adventures while alone and tries to make his way back to his family ( )
  enemory | Nov 26, 2018 |
I recently found a hardcover copy of this book to give to my granddaughter, so of course I had to reread it! And it holds up very well from my childhood recollections.

Ping is a little yellow duck who lives with his extended family on board a boat, with daily forays along the shore to forage for tasty bits. One day Ping "misses the boat" and finds himself alone for the first time.

The story is simple but not boring, about a topic that young children are familiar with: getting lost. And the illustrations reflect the simplicity of the story, richly colored by one of my favorite artists, Kurt Wiese. I'll keep my copy until I can share it with my granddaughter. ( )
  fuzzi | Oct 5, 2018 |
Ping is the story of a duck who does not want to be the last one on the boat. Whoever is last on the boat gets a smack as they get on the boat. One day when Ping realizes that he will be last, to avoid that smack, he stays behind all together. Unfortunately he almost gets eaten for dinner, and when he finally does reunite with his family he gladly accepts that smack as he runs up onto the boat last.

This story is a family favorite. Reading it aloud many times has given me the perfect call that is made when it's time to get onto the boat, and I think I finally can pronounce Yangtze, or at least I am consistent in the way that I say it. This book demonstrates that choosing to avoid a consequence could in turn have its own consequence. Beautiful illustrations and writing with lots of interesting exclamations, as well as the happy ending make it a book that will be loved for years to come.
  maryganderson | Oct 1, 2018 |
Read with students for school. I have fond memories of this book from childhood. It was interesting reading it through children's eyes today. ( )
  VanChocStrawberry | Apr 2, 2018 |
Ping, the duck, is taken by his owner to feed along the riverbank. Later on in the evening, Ping is the last duck to return home, so he hides to avoid being punished. The following day, Ping becomes engrossed in watching a flock of fishing birds and is unexpectedly captured by a boy. The boy later on decides not to take Ping home for his family's dinner and releases Ping. The next day, Ping sees his owner's boat and hurries to return to his family, knowing he will be the last duck again; however, this time he accepts his punishment. Educators can use this mentor text as a way to explain the reasoning behind classroom rules and the importance of following those rules (someone could get hurt). Academically, this story can be used to ( )
  K.Luna | Mar 9, 2018 |

Flack, Marjorieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wiese, KurtIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time there was a beautiful young duck named Ping.

A little duck finds adventure on the Yangtze River when he avoided boarding his master's houseboat one evening.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0448421658, Mass Market Paperback)

The tale of a little duck alone on the Yangtze River, The Story About Ping is a sweet and funny book with wonderfully rich and colorful illustrations. On a day like any other, Ping sets off from the boat he calls home with his comically large family in search of "pleasant things to eat." On this particular day, he is accidentally left behind when the boat leaves. Undaunted, the little duck heads out onto the Yangtze in search of his family, only to find new friends and adventures--and a bit of peril--around every bend.

The exceptional illustrations bring the lush Yangtze to life, from Ping's family to the trained fishing birds he finds himself among to the faithfully rendered boats and fishermen. Certainly intended to be read aloud, The Story About Ping deserves a place on every young reader's (or listener's) shelf. (Picture book)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:35 -0400)

A little duck finds adventure on the Yangtze River when he is too late to board his master's houseboat one evening.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,680,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible