The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf

The Story of Ferdinand (1936)

by Munro Leaf, Robert Lawson (Illustrator), Robert Lawson (Illustrator), Munro Leaf

Recently added byprivate library, KDKat5, ktbailin, Alloc, travistuatow, Alombrados, Ray.Gun, brian_schumann, mnorth2, linzy
Legacy LibrariesAstrid Lindgren
    The Right To Be Lazy by Paul Lafargue (lquilter)
    lquilter: If you like "The Right To Be Lazy", perhaps you would enjoy reading to your children (and for yourself), "The Story of Ferdinand", by Munro Leaf -- a children's picture book about a bull who doesn't want to fight, but just wants to sit under a tree and enjoy nature. If you liked reading Ferdinand to your kids, maybe you'd also like spending some time with the classic pro-relaxation theoretical work of Lafargue, who argues that relaxation and creativity, not work, are the true engines of human development. Down with the corporate-capitalist-entertainment complex! Up with the enjoyment of life, bread, and roses!… (more)
    The Possum That Didn't by Frank Tashlin (Nycticebus)

Review:
"The Story of Ferdinand" has always been one of my favorites since I was a child. Ferdinand is just a sweet little bull who does not like to rough house like the others, all he wants to do is sit under his cork tree and smell flowers. Ferdinand does not care what other individuals think, he does what he wants to do even though he has the pressure to do what others want him to do. Great book with a great message.

Summary:
The children's book, "The Story of Ferdinand", is about a bull named Ferdinand who loves his life in Madrid. All of his friends like to rough house and butt heads together, but not Ferdinand. It's the time of the year where people are looking for a strong and tough bull to fight in Madrid but Ferdinand knows it will not be him they will choose so he goes back under his cork tree smelling his flowers. The men look over to the cork tree and see Ferdinand freaking out and bouncing all over the place. The men pick him to be in the fight but little do they know, Ferdinand was just stung by a bee! He does not like or want to fight. Do you think Ferdinand will become a fighter like his friends once he arrives in Madrid? Read to find out! ( )
  mnorth2 | Sep 26, 2014 |
Grades: k-3
modern fantasy
I gave The Story of Ferdinand five stars for a few different reasons. I found it to be an adorable story that describes happiness, mild-temper, and peacefulness in an unexpected place, a bull. All the other bulls in Ferdinand's pasture are competitive and aggressive but not Ferdinand. A freak accident causes him to be choses for a bull fight, but even under such pressure Ferdinand does not lose his peaceful nature. I also think that this is a great book to use in the classroom because it takes place in Spain and introduces students to a new culture, or makes students from this culture feel included. It also has a great message to kids that you do not need to be competitive to be happy =). ( )
  danielleshorr | Sep 17, 2014 |
This has always been one of my most fave books as a kid. The story is simple to read and easy for a beginning reader although they may need some help with the Spanish bull fighter terminology.

The pictures are black and white but very detailed. You can actually feel that you are looking into a pasture or an arena to see what it is like without actually being there.

The message is a wonderful message of just being yourself even when others wish you to be what you aren't. My main problem with this book is of course the whole bull fighting history but I am not going to allow that ruin this sweet book. ( )
  flamingrosedrakon | Sep 15, 2014 |
Summary: Ferdinand was a bull who wasn't like any other bull. He didn't want to run and butt heads and horns like all the other bulls in his pasture. He finds a cork tree and sits under it all day just quietly smelling the flowers. Ferdinand grows up to be big a strong but still doesn't like to butt heads and fight like the other bulls. All the other bulls are getting ready to be picked for the bull fights in Madrid and when the men come to pick out the bull they want for the fights, Ferdinand goes to sit under his tree like any normal day because he knows he will not get picked since he is not fierce and mean like the other bulls. He accidentally sits on a bumble bee and it stings him throwing him into a pain induced frenzy. This causes him to appear fierce and crazy and the men choose him for the bull fight. When the fight comes all the ladies in the audience have flowers in their hair and Ferdinand sits in the middle of the arena and smells the flowers instead of fighting the people. They take him back home where the author is sure he is still sitting under his tree and is happy.

Personal Reaction: I love this story because it shows that just because you are expected to act a certain way doesn't make one have to act that way. We can choose who we want to be ourselves.

Classroom Extension Ideas: 1. Ask my students what their parents do.
2. Have my students write down what they want to be when they grow up. ( )
  LynleeRae | Sep 14, 2014 |
Summary of book: This book is about Ferdinand the Bull. He is a little bull from Spain whose favorite thing to do is sit under a tree and smell the flowers. When a bull fighter tried to fight him, he just sat and smelled flowers. He wasn't like other bulls, but his mother loved him just the same.

Personal reaction: I love this book. My mother use to read it to me as a child and then she showed me the Disney cartoon for it and I fell even more in love with it. I like that even though he was different, his mother always told him that she loved him.

Extension Ideas:
1. I would have the children create their own tale about an animal that does something out of character.
2. I would have the children help me make a large bull to paste on our wall, and have them each make their own flower for Ferdinand to sell. ( )
  Gizellecardiel | Jul 10, 2014 |

Munro Leafprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lawson, RobertIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lawson, RobertIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Leaf, Munromain authorall editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time in Spain there was a little bull and his name was Ferdinand.

Their so much learning that can be brought into the classroom with this story. This story presents a story of peace and difference. It also introduces the history of bullfighting.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0670674249, Hardcover)

What else can be said about the fabulous Ferdinand? Published more than 50 years ago (and one of the bestselling children's books of all time), this simple story of peace and contentment has withstood the test of many generations. Ferdinand is a little bull who much prefers sitting quietly under a cork tree-- just smelling the flowers--to jumping around, snorting, and butting heads with other bulls. This cow is no coward--he simply has his pacifist priorities clear. As Ferdinand grows big and strong, his temperament remains mellow, until the day he meets with the wrong end of a bee. In a show of bovine irony, the one day Ferdinand is most definitely not sitting quietly under the cork tree (due to a frightful sting), is the selfsame day that five men come to choose the "biggest, fastest, roughest bull" for the bullfights in Madrid.

Ferdinand's day in the arena gives readers not only an education in the historical tradition of bullfighting, but also a lesson in nonviolent tranquility. Robert Lawson's black-and-white drawings are evocative and detailed, with especially sweet renditions of Ferdinand, the serene bull hero. The Story of Ferdinand closes with one of the happiest endings in the history of happy endings--readers of all ages will drift off to a peaceful sleep, dreaming of sweet-smelling flowers and contented cows.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:03 -0400)

Ferdinand likes to sit quietly and smell the flowers, but one day he gets stung by a bee and his snorting and stomping convince everyone that he is the fiercest of bulls.

353 wanted1 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,970,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible