The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf

The Story of Ferdinand (original 1936; edition 1936)

by Munro Leaf, Robert Lawson (Illustrator)

4,1991241,190 (4.35)46
Member:kevinyezbick
Title:The Story of Ferdinand
Authors:Munro Leaf
Other authors:Robert Lawson (Illustrator)
Info:Viking Juvenile (1936), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 72 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:fiction, from:library, illustrated, picture books, bulls, flowers, spain, bullfighting

The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf (1936)

Recently added byprivate library, olsonsbca, MH2017, Kacex, Mdearth, aparker6787, tanyabutton, tamalasawyer, PokerHillSchool
Legacy LibrariesAstrid Lindgren
    Le Droit à la paresse by Paul Lafargue (lquilter)
    lquilter: If you like "The Right To Be Lazy", perhaps you would enjoy reading to your children (and for yourself), "The Story of Ferdinand", by Munro Leaf -- a children's picture book about a bull who doesn't want to fight, but just wants to sit under a tree and enjoy nature. If you liked reading Ferdinand to your kids, maybe you'd also like spending some time with the classic pro-relaxation theoretical work of Lafargue, who argues that relaxation and creativity, not work, are the true engines of human development. Down with the corporate-capitalist-entertainment complex! Up with the enjoyment of life, bread, and roses!… (more)

English (123)  Spanish (1)  All (124)
I had read this book when I was a child and recall it being one of my favorite stories. Reading it as an adult, I feel the same way about it. I love the imagery that the language evokes throughout the entire story and the illustrations that enhance the vivid tale that the author is telling us. The imagery is so vivid, but so simple at the same time. The language is so direct that it is very easy to imagine the gentleness of Ferdinand compared to the rest of the bulls. “All the other little bulls he lived with would run and jump and butt their heads together, but not Ferdinand. He liked to sit just quietly and smell the flowers,” (p. 3-5). I found it interesting that such direct sentences could evoke such an image in my head and correlate to the illustrations drawn on the pages. That takes me to the next point of why I enjoyed this book so much. The illustrations, all done in black ink, were not only beautifully drawn, but incredibly detailed. We have talked a lot about how authors and illustrators work collaboratively on a book and I find it quite amazing that the illustrator was able to capture the simplicity of the story with such detail at the same time. For example, on page 11, Ferdinand is standing next to a tree trunk that marks his age and height. The text simply says that Ferdinand became big and strong, but the author was able to capture the muscles of the bull along with the lackadaisical facial features of the gentle giant.
The moral of this tale is that although someone may be big and seem “scary”, we should not judge a book by its cover. Ferdinand was taken by the bullfighters to the arena because he appeared to be the most ferocious bull on the farm, but when he got there, he just sat and smelled the flowers in the women’s hair. It is just like with people in our own lives, the outside of someone may appear to have completely different characteristics than those actually presented in someone’s personality and we should never judge someone based on just the way that they look. ( )
  CourtneyClutts | Apr 13, 2017 |
I had mixed emotions about this book after reading it. I liked the book because of the message. The main message of this book was to show that we do not need to change ourselves to fit in. However, I feel that the illustrations could have been a lot more vibrant and capture everything the author was saying. The content of the book overall was great. I enjoyed the writing because of how engaging it was giving descriptive information on what Ferdinand did in comparison to the other bulls. However, the illustrations were in black and white and only in a standard part of the page. I feel to really capture the reader the pictures need to be colored, bold, and on the whole page. However, I do understand that this book has been translated many times and is an older book. Overall I do like it more than I dislike it because of the overall message. ( )
  aromer7 | Mar 21, 2017 |
What else can be said about the fabulous Ferdinand? Published more than 50 years ago (and one of the bestselling children's books of all time), this simple story of peace and contentment has withstood the test of many generations. Ferdinand is a little bull who much prefers sitting quietly under a cork tree-- just smelling the flowers--to jumping around, snorting, and butting heads with other bulls. This cow is no coward--he simply has his pacifist priorities clear. As Ferdinand grows big and strong, his temperament remains mellow, until the day he meets with the wrong end of a bee. In a show of bovine irony, the one day Ferdinand is most definitely not sitting quietly under the cork tree (due to a frightful sting), is the selfsame day that five men come to choose the "biggest, fastest, roughest bull" for the bullfights in Madrid.
  CassityE | Mar 20, 2017 |
DO U KNOW FERDINAND?? With my spirited child I can feel my unconscious biases sliding insidiously toward "spirited" and away from "gentle," but this is the absolute classic story of a gentle flower-loving guy who ruins everyone's bloodsport by just being a sweetheart and also by "preferring not to," Bartlebianly. ( )
2 vote MeditationesMartini | Mar 15, 2017 |
Genre: Fantasy Fiction
Age Appropriateness: Primary
Media: Pen?
Review/Critique:
As a young bull Ferdinand was unlike any of the other bulls. All of the bulls were aggressive, but Ferdinand liked to sit under a tree and smell the flowers. One day a bunch of men came to choose the bull who would be in the Bull Fight. On accident Ferdinand was chosen because he showed aggressive behavior after being stung by a bee. Once at the Bull Fight, Ferdinand walked into the ring and he just sat down. Since he was a very "boring" bull he got to go back home.

This is good fantasy fiction because the main character, Ferdinand, was a bull
  ebrink15 | Mar 10, 2017 |

Munro Leafprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lawson, RobertIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time in Spain there was a little bull and his name was Ferdinand.

Their so much learning that can be brought into the classroom with this story. This story presents a story of peace and difference. It also introduces the history of bullfighting.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0670674249, Hardcover)

Ferdinand's day in the arena gives readers not only an education in the historical tradition of bullfighting, but also a lesson in nonviolent tranquility. Robert Lawson's black-and-white drawings are evocative and detailed, with especially sweet renditions of Ferdinand, the serene bull hero. The Story of Ferdinand closes with one of the happiest endings in the history of happy endings--readers of all ages will drift off to a peaceful sleep, dreaming of sweet-smelling flowers and contented cows.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:32 -0400)

Ferdinand likes to sit quietly and smell the flowers, but one day he gets stung by a bee and his snorting and stomping convince everyone that he is the fiercest of bulls.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,761,674 books! | Top bar: Always visible