Whispers of the Bayou by Mindy Starns Clark

Whispers of the Bayou

by Mindy Starns Clark

162373,595 (4)2

What a great mystery surrounding the dark waters of the Louisiana Bayou? The heroine is a woman without a past. She has a husband and a child of her own and a fulfilling job in a Mah=nhaten museum, but she has questions about the tragedy that cut her off from family as a child and caused her to be sent away with her aunt. The suspense of finding out a long ago secret and learning about her early life keeps me enthalled to the very end. ( )
  rbooth43 | Apr 5, 2010 |
Loved this book!
  laserone | Apr 25, 2009 |
While I was aware of the titles of David Sedaris’ books before (they just kind of jump out at you when you’re browsing in the bookstore), I have to admit I’d never really jumped on the bandwagon before now. For some reason, it seemed that everyone was buzzing about this book when it came out and that generated some curiosity. Then, one day while browsing the free audio book downloads at my local libary, I saw the book had just been returned and decided to give it a chance.

Listening to this series of essays, I have to wonder if the experience might not be different from reading them in printed form. The collection is a mixture of Sedaris reading them in a “studio” as it were and to an audience. I have to admit the ones that Sedaris reads or performs to an audience worked a lot better and were a lot more memorable. One story in particular about Sedaris’ encounter with a couple who was dressed nicely but had potty mouths was particularily intriguing.

Sedaris writes with a sarcastic wit, which I think comes across better when you hear the stories read aloud. There are some writers who just work better when you can hear them tell their stories as opposed to reading them. (Garrison Keillor is an example for me). The stories all range from short, quick essays to a longer two-disc length story on Sedaris’ attempts to quit smoking.

With this being my first exposure to Sedaris, I will admit I enjoyed what I read/heard enough to want to seek out his previous works and see what I’ve been missing. ( )
  bigorangemichael | Jul 30, 2008 |
This book is dedicated with much love to Alice Clark. Your Christian walk inspires me, your wonderful personality delights me, and your kind and selfless actions minister to me. Thank you for all that you do!
The man appeared in the doorway of my studio unannounced, with a brown paper package tucked under his arm.

From the author of the popular Million Dollar Mysteries and Smart Chick Mysteries comes a new stand-alone novel full of hidden staircases, buried secrets, and the promise of hope found in knowing God.

Miranda Miller wasn't looking for the news the day the letter came. But, trying to survive in troubled circumstances, she welcomes the chance to change her location for a period of time. The letter informs her that her grandparents' estate is finally about to become hers. She immediately heads down to Louisiana and the old house by the bayou. There Miranda finds secrets that lead to life-changing revelations.

This suspenseful story reminiscent of old Gothic tales has a complex mystery and a vivid sense of the Deep South. It shows how God can take the darkest circumstances and use them to light a bright path leading to the future.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:59 -0400)

A woman receives a letter informing her that her grandparents' estate is finally about to become hers, and she heads to the old house in Louisiana. There she encounters buried secrets that lead to life changing revelations.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,971,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible