Doctor Who: Martha In The Mirror by Justin…

Doctor Who: Martha In The Mirror (edition 2008)

by Justin Richards

Member:Miss_Giles
Title:Doctor Who: Martha In The Mirror
Authors:Justin Richards
Info:Random House UK (2008), Hardcover, 256 pages
Tags:science fiction, Doctor Who, 10th Doctor

Martha in the Mirror by Justin Richards

Something about the Zerugians reminded me of the Gorn from the classic Star Trek series. I almost wondered if that's what Richards was going for, but couldn't state it outright due to copyright. A fun story, seemed at times like he didn't quite capture Tennant's Doctor properly (sometimes a bit too action hero for who the Doctor is).

I will say, the numerous mirror puns were excellent... upon reflection. ( )
  regularguy5mb | May 17, 2013 |
This book is based on the BBC television show Doctor Who, and features the time and space traveling extraterrestrial called the Doctor, and his human companion Martha. The time travelers find themselves on an ancient castle isolated in outerspace where two warring alien species are about to sign a treaty that will bring peace between their planets. However, the treaty is disrupted when one of the high ranking officials is murdered in mysterious circumstances. At the center of the mystery is a strange mirror that is more than a mirror and a diary made from glass and written in an unreadable language.

The mystery is intriguing and suspenseful, and, like most Doctor Who adventures, the story is full of strange alien worlds, technologies and customs. The characterization is excellent and the dialogue given to the Doctor and Martha reads just as the characters talk on the show. The story is full of jokes (some horribly cheesy), and more than its fair share of mirror-related puns-- each character is given at least one opportunity to engage in some wordplay with 'reflect'. Doctor Who fans will very much enjoy this book, but it may not have much appeal for individuals unfamiliar with the show. Though the book does not achieve any of the brilliant plot twists, emotional depth or social commentary that define the best episodes of the TV show, it does nicely capture the spirit of the series by being slightly goofy and very fun. This book would be enjoyed by readers grade seven and up. ( )
  frood42 | Dec 15, 2010 |

I wasn't overwhelmed; I thought Richards had caught Martha and Ten very nicely, but I got distracted by wondering how your physiology would work if you got turned into glass, and I also wasn't sure that the plot bore close scrutiny. In fact, I felt it would have made a better comic strip story than an audio (or paper) book. But a decent enough effort. ( )
  nwhyte | Jul 18, 2010 |
This is the first of the modern-day Doctor Who novels I’ve had an opportunity to read. I have to say that the author captured the characters of Tennant’s Doctor Who and Martha in the best way.

The Doctor and Martha arrive at Extremist where the Doctor informed Martha they would be attending the best theme park in the cosmos. Unfortunately, it seems, they arrived a little earlier in time than planned. The Doctor quickly meets Janna, a troubled young orphan girl who plays a major role in the story.

They become entangled in peace talks between the Zarugians and the Anthiums as well as murder, mystery and intrigue “Doctor style”.
The story is centered on the Mortal Mirror and its secrets which the Doctor and Martha discover. Soon after their arrival, the Doctor discovers a diary made of glass in a hiding spot behind as stone that is being replaced by the maintenance robots, Bill and Bot. He later learns how to read it and discovers some of the history behind the mirror.

After Martha gets trapped in the mirror and the Doctor rescues her, they get a better understanding of its purpose and what it holds. Using that information, as well as what they learn from Janna and the Man in the Mirror, the Doctor is able to prevent war and put the treaty negotiations back on track.

All in all, a fun read. I’m looking forward to reading more in the series. ( )
  pdickinson | Mar 24, 2010 |
Martha and the Doctor end up unexpectedly at some peace negotiations where things don't go quite as planned (of course).

I very much liked this story. It is both a little confusing and a little predictable at times (funny how it manages that) but it all pretty much works and I really enjoyed the end. ( )
  bluesalamanders | Aug 17, 2009 |
The castle was haunted by a young girl.

Castle Extremis, whoever holds it can control the provinces either side that have been at war for centuries. Now the castle is about to play host to the signing of a peace treaty. But as the Doctor and Martha find out, not everyone wants the war to end. Who is the strange little girl who haunts the castle?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,430,123 books! | Top bar: Always visible