Kiss Me, Kill Me by Lauren Henderson

Kiss Me, Kill Me (2008)

by Lauren Henderson

Recently added bykairih, margaraawr, CAMMD, private library, tardisgal, Kaitlin_Michelle

This is an example of a book in a category I’m not wild about–school stories–which I nonetheless enjoyed. Usually I find boarding school stories super annoying, but somehow this one managed to avoid that. However, I don’t feel any particular compulsion to finish the series. [Jan. 2011] ( )
  maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |
Find this review and more at On The Shelf!

Ok, so I already wrote up one review, and that was before I realized what a dunce I was. I don’t know why I didn’t know that this was the first in a series and I thought the story just…ended. I was not happy with it, and then, I saw on Goodreads that it said Scarlett Wakefield #1 and found that there are 3 other books. I admit that sometimes, I can be a doofus, so now, I am rewriting the review because the fact that it is one of four makes a big difference! So…on to the new review….

This book wasn’t exactly what I expected it to be. I think I expected a whole lot of mystery and who-dunit kind of stuff, twisting plot, surprises around the corner, etc, but that really isn’t what it was for the most part. Aside from when Dan dies and one other scene, the book is pretty slow. We mostly see Scarlett at the new school and how awkward it is for her to be there and how lonely she is. Though it was a slower book, it read pretty quickly. I’m not sure how I feel about the author’s writing style. It seems like she writes the same way she talks, more like it is a thought process (if you get what I’m trying to say), but the British slang was fun. The descriptions were pretty good and it was easy to picture the story.

The characters were really only ok, but most were shallow, which of course they are supposed to be since a lot of them are rich snobs. There wasn’t a character I thought was really great, and the only one I could come close to saying I did like was one of the side characters, Taylor, and she didn’t come in until the second half of the book. I do want to read the other three books, but I can’t say I will be in a rush to do it.

Nice descriptions, a bit slow for my taste, okay characters, glad to know it doesn’t just end.
  VykiC37 | Jul 16, 2012 |
I've been picking up the Scarlett Wakefield books since KISS ME KILL ME was released at the very beginning of 2008, but it took me until now to actually take one home and read it. The novel has a plot line similar to Kate Brian's PRIVATE, but they are far from the same book, in both positive and negative ways. I actually like Scarlett and I'm not all that fond of Reed, the lead character of Brian's books. Scarlett has flaws, which are apparent right from the start of the novel, but she is also a rather good amateur sleuth and her background in gymnastics enables her to do some pretty intense moves. Reed is primarily concerned with being liked and popular and often lacks the smarts that I admire in a protagonist. Plus, Scarlett is much better at solving mysteries - always a plus in a mystery novel. I will admit, however, that the PRIVATE books pulled me in to the story right from the beginning and KMKM was much slower and lacking in action. I'm confident that the next book will make up for that though.

As I mentioned, the first volume of Scarlett's story was a bit slow, at least in the beginning. By the end the story had picked up momentum and catapulted me toward the next book - leaving me grateful that I waited to read KMKM because I don't particularly like the waiting part of series. Most of KMKM is just laying out the groundwork for the next book, KISSES AND LIES, so Henderson should be able to jump right into the story.

The mystery aspect of the novel was well written, but readers only really get a taste of a conclusion. The bulk of the book was introductions to characters and theories. The ending left me wholly unsatisfied since nothing was really solved - so readers who read KMKM back in 2008 and had to wait for the next book must have gone crazy.

Most of the book was from Scarlett's POV, but there were anonymous journal entries interspersed that really added to the novel. At the beginning that really intrigued me, though I think that Scarlett solved that little mystery a little too easily.

Overall, KMKM was a good novel and I have high hopes for the rest of the Scarlett Wakefield novels. They are quick and easy reads with just a dash of romance! ( )
  thehidingspot | Mar 31, 2012 |
Sixteen-year-old Scarlett Wakefield is starting fresh at Wakefield Hall...in more ways than one. Here, at Wakefield, unlike at her previous school St. Tabby's, no one knows her dark secret. A couple of months ago, Scarlett was invited to a party at one of the It girls homes. She'd only ever dreamed of going to their parties, but now that she's gone, the party lives in her nightmares.

After hours of finding the perfect outfit to buy, getting her makeup and hair just right, Scarlett was finally ready to enjoy the party--and she did. For a little while.

Besides dreaming of what it would be like to attend parties like the one she was at, she had also dreamt of what it would be like to kiss Dan McAndrew...as they stood on the terrace together, it seemed her dream was about to come true. What Scarlett never could have imagine, though, was that once she kissed Dan, he would die. Just drop dead in her arms.

And so begins the murder mystery of Kiss Me, Kill Me that's not so much a murder mystery. The book is a good book to read and follows the premise that no one knows what killed Dan but everyone blames Scarlett so she moves to Wakefield Hall to escape the scrutiny only to have someone there begin leaving her anonymous notes.

I really liked that Scarlett was involved in gymnastics--and not just in the 'jump in the air and flip around' sense but she really was and it was woven into the story--and, as I said, I did enjoy this book, but it ended very abruptly.

There is a sequel coming out in January so I'm not sure if the plan is to flesh everything out then but I felt kind of cheated because it set everything up to possibly be this great, Here's-What-Happened...and then it was maybe ten pages (or less) of ending the story by seemingly just saying This is What Happened. It didn't pull things in that had happened in the start (or one or two tiny ones), but nothing that a good mystery does where you can say, oh wait! that means...okay, now I get why that was there!

The sequel (Kisses and Lies) isn't out yet so I can't say this for certain, but maybe reading them together will be more satisfying? ( )
  BookSpot | Nov 13, 2011 |
Kiss me kill me is a wonderful book. Its about a girl (scarlette) who, gets invited to a frat party by the most popular girls in school. She then meets her crush there. she has been in love with dave for years! then suddently she gets invited to the balconey. where her and her crush kiss. But a deadly one. Dave then dies.Right then and there. Scarlet tries, to solve why dave died. she ges through horride times. Will she ever get through this. The nightmares, the name calling? read the second book to find out. ( )
  yasemin.ykar8298 | Oct 26, 2011 |
On January 1, I made two wishes.

When 16-year-old Scarlett Wakefield transfers from St. Tabby’s to Wakefield Hall Collegiate, she is relieved that no one knows her dark, haunting secret. A few months ago, Scarlett was invited to an elite party with a guest list full of the hottest names in British society, including Dan McAndrew. Before the party, Scarlett had only imagined what it would be like to have her first kiss with Dan, but on the penthouse terrace, Dan leaned in close and she no longer had to wonder. Their kiss was beautiful and perfect and magical, and then . . . Dan McAndrew took his last breath as she held him in her arms. No one knows how or why Dan died, and everyone at St. Tabby’s believes Scarlett had something to do with it. But now that she’s safely hidden away at Wakefield Hall, Scarlett would rather forget that it ever happened. Only she can’t. Especially when she receives an anonymous note that will set her on the path to clearing her name and finding out what really happened to the first and last boy she kissed.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:15 -0400)

Longing to be part of the in-crowd at her exclusive London school, orphaned, sixteen-year-old Scarlett, a trained gymnast, eagerly accepts an invitation to a party whose disastrous outcome changes her life forever.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,822,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible