Torchwood: In the Shadows: A Torchwood Audio…

Torchwood: In the Shadows: A Torchwood Audio Original Narrated by Eve…

by Joseph Lidster

Very good story! This was creepy as hell! They toyed with the idea of afterlife in the show and their version doesn't sit well with me. Nothingness is one thing, but being alone in darkness is something else entirely. Yikes!

But in this, not only did they mention afterlife, but hell. Clearly it was a man-made hell, but still...Spooky. And very much like I'd imagine hell to be.

The story was great, freightening even. The characters were spot-on; their interactions with one another as well as non-team members reminded me so much of the show.

Jack endured more torture, which I have come to expect from both Torchwood and especially Whoverse. But what made seeing him suffer bearable was the fact that Ianto was suffering right along with him. Suffering enough to risk everything to save him, or die with him. They didn't show enough of this side of their relationship on the show, but I always imagined it would be like this. One falling to pieces after losing the other.[spoilers if you haven't watched the whole show!]

We saw how Jack went to pieces after losing Ianto! He sacrificed his grandson and then left the planet entirely. Some like to say that Jack didn't care for Ianto as much as Ianto cared for him, but that's just not true. Jack loved him, and broke him when Ianto died. But I digress (as usual), this was a great story and Eve Myles read it beautifully. ( )
  Virago77 | Jun 23, 2016 |
Audiobook-only Torchwood novel on 2 CDs, read by Eve Myles, and set during and after second season. This is a creepy and very Torchwood tale of a strange taxi driver who sends his passengers to a hell dimension to be punished for their perceived sins. They return as corpses, having lived out the remainder of their lives in a personally-tailored Hell while only a few hours have passed on Earth. Torchwood takes an interest in one of the missing person cases, and Jack finds himself on a trip to a Hell where death is the only release -- and temporary death doesn't count. A well-crafted horror story with good characterisation, and some interesting development of the relationship between Jack and Ianto. Eve Myles isn't quite as good a narrator as the others I've listened to, but still does an adequate job. I'd note that the plot driver is yet another religious fanatic -- they seem to be more common in the audiobooks than in the tv episodes. ( )
  JulesJones | Jan 2, 2012 |

set mostly during early Season 2 (after Jack's return from the end of the universe but before Gwen's wedding) but told in flashback from between Seasons 2 and 3. (I also started on a Tenth Doctor audiobook, but more on that when I finish it.)

It's rather good: a classic horror story plot (spooky taxi driver who kills people by aging them to death) moored expertly in the Torchwood setting, with nice character moments for each of the team (especially Toshiko and PC Andy) and lots of continuity references to please the fans. Eve Myles has a lovely reading voice and does a decent impression of Jack, and indeed of the others as well. If you liked Torchwood in the old days you'll like this. ( )
  nwhyte | Jul 18, 2010 |
Slightly predictable, and the characterization is a bit shaky at times, but incredibly creepy. Eve Myles is another great reader.

Why do so many Torchwood books have to do with religious fanatics? ( )
  bluesalamanders | Jul 23, 2009 |

Torchwood receive reports of a strange death: a man in his 30s who died of old age. A series of other strange events leads Torchwood to conclude that someone is sending victims to a dark dimension, to be punished by the thing they fear most.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,402,568 books! | Top bar: Always visible