Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist's Quest To…

Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist's Quest To Discover if Her Life Makes…

by Jen Lancaster

English (58)  French (1)  All (59)
Jen is woman writer in her 30s, married to a great guy, living in a city she loves. She has attitude to spare. And after being called a fat bitch—again, she decides despite her positive self image to get healthy. This book chronicles her quest to lose weight and get healthy, beginning with the packaged food of Jenny Craig and finding the freedom of Weight Watcher. And let’s not forget the endlessly cheerful and relentless personal trainer, Barbie. This book was seriously laugh-out-loud funny! I want to be her best friend. I’ve put every one of her books on my TBR. If you’ve ever had a weight issue, and even if you haven’t, this book is worth the time. ( )
  LeslieHurd | Jan 11, 2017 |
Such a Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster

★★★★

When it comes to a good laugh and an easy read, Jen Lancaster never disappoints. In her third memoir, Such a Pretty Fat, Jen takes us through her journey of weight loss and her many other adventures. While I didn’t always find myself laughing out loud, I almost always had a smirk on my face during the reading of this book. Lancaster is sarcastic and doesn’t hold back on her feelings. She is a very relatable woman. I found myself nodding in several places in agreement or wishing I was as awesome as her. Her husband is equally awesome by the way. In the end, as usual, besides all the humor, her books wrap up with a comforting, inspirational message – in this case, if you put your mind to it, one can do it, whatever “it” is. At the end of every Jen Lancaster book I just think “I sure wish this lady was my friend.” Thumbs up on this book.
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
This book made me laugh out loud. I've read all 3 of Jen Lancaster's memoirs and they just keep staying funny. ( )
  i.should.b.reading | Jan 15, 2016 |
I don't even know what to say about Lancaster's books anymore. This is the third of her memoirs I've read, and I can't wait to get the rest. She's hilarious and, most importantly, brutally honest about her flaws. This book focuses on her attempt at weight loss, even though she initially wasn't upset about her weight or how she looked. I love how much she evolves through the course of each individual book, as she realizes whatever she changes is for the best. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
Jen is always entertaining and I wish she and I were BFF's because she has to be a lot of fun!
  Alphawoman | Aug 6, 2013 |
Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.
-- A Weight Watchers Axiom

Weight Watchers can kiss the fattest part of my ass.
-- A Jen Lancaster Axiom
For Jennifer Coburn, the queen (gene) of the good idea. For Barbie, who opened the door and shoved me through it. And for everyone who ever lived with a person on a diet . . . I am deeply sorry.
"Today on the bus a guy called me a fat bitch."

A NOTE FROM JEN LANCASTER:

"To whom the fat rolls…I'm tired of books where a self-loathing heroine is teased to the point where she starves herself skinny in hopes of a fabulous new life. And I hate the message that women can't possibly be happy until we all fit into our skinny jeans. I don't find these stories uplifting; they make me want to hug these women and take them out for fizzy champagne drinks and cheesecake and explain to them that until they figure out their insides, their outsides don't matter. Unfortunately, being overweight isn't simply a societal issue that can be fixed with a dose healthy of positive self-esteem. It’s a health matter, and here on the eve of my fortieth year, I've learned I have to make changes so I don't, you know, die. Because what good is finally being able to afford a pedicure if I lose a foot to adult onset diabetes?"

Watch a QuickTime trailer for this book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:51 -0400)

Unfortunately, being overweight isn't simply a societal issue that can be fixed with a dose healthy of positive self-esteem. It's a health matter, and on the eve of her fortieth year, Lancaster learns to make changes. Because what good is finally being able to afford a pedicure if you lose a foot to adult onset diabetes?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,755,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible