Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist's…

Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist's Quest to Discover If Her Life… (edition 2008)

by Jen Lancaster (Author)

Member:sydneyellis
Title:Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist's Quest to Discover If Her Life Makes Her Ass Look Big, or Why Pie Is Not the Answer
Authors:Jen Lancaster (Author)
Info:NAL Trade (2008), Paperback
Collections:Wishlist

Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist's Quest To Discover if Her Life Makes Her Ass Look Big, or, Why Pie is Not The Answer by Jen Lancaster

English (55)  French (1)  All languages (56)
Jen is always entertaining and I wish she and I were BFF's because she has to be a lot of fun!
  Alphawoman | Aug 6, 2013 |
Jen Lancaster books are not to be missed if you want to laugh, cry and say "that's me" for she honestly and with humor describes the life of being overweight; OK, fat! Even her acknowledgements are funny and that is an achievement. I didn't like the post notes on the bottom of each page, so I ignored them. Typically a Jen behavior, I bet. They are witty and further explain what was just said, but it too;k me away from the smoothness of the reading. Your choice. Read or skip.
A weight-loss odyssey, the author shows the ridiculous side of losing weight. Even when she fails for a day or two, she continues and achieves her goal, laughing all of the way. With Fletch by here side, how can she not succeed?
I loved the book and am looking forward to the next Jen Lancaster self drama. I love to laugh when reading a good book, and Ms. Lancaster never lets me down. ( )
  bakersfieldbarbara | Jul 12, 2013 |
This is the third volume of Jen Lancaster's memoirs, and I made the mistake of reading it right after the first two. It was better than Bright Lights, Big Ass, but not as good as Bitter is the New Black. Also, I think a little of Jen's overwhelming personality goes a long way.

She is a good writer, and knows how to tell a funny story. I'm sure this is a fictionalized account of her life, but she makes it seem real, and there are a lot of sharply observed, funny takes on things.

In this book, she decides to do something about her weight, for health reasons, since she is happy with the way she looks. This puts her at odds with the multi-billion dollar weight-loss industry, and it's probably an even match. In the end, she succeeds in improving her strength and endurance, and discovers that exercise isn't as horrible as she always thought. ( )
  teckelvik | May 15, 2013 |
Laugh out loud funny, she tells it just like she feels. ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Apr 20, 2013 |
I liked this much better than her second memoir. I can't imagine having her for a friend, she's way too touchy and snarky and mean, but I did enjoy reading about her transformation into a person who likes to exercise. There's a passage where she's swimming laps that is almost transcendent. Lancaster's an odd and interesting person. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.
-- A Weight Watchers Axiom

Weight Watchers can kiss the fattest part of my ass.
-- A Jen Lancaster Axiom
For Jennifer Coburn, the queen (gene) of the good idea. For Barbie, who opened the door and shoved me through it. And for everyone who ever lived with a person on a diet . . . I am deeply sorry.
"Today on the bus a guy called me a fat bitch."

A NOTE FROM JEN LANCASTER:

"To whom the fat rolls…I'm tired of books where a self-loathing heroine is teased to the point where she starves herself skinny in hopes of a fabulous new life. And I hate the message that women can't possibly be happy until we all fit into our skinny jeans. I don't find these stories uplifting; they make me want to hug these women and take them out for fizzy champagne drinks and cheesecake and explain to them that until they figure out their insides, their outsides don't matter. Unfortunately, being overweight isn't simply a societal issue that can be fixed with a dose healthy of positive self-esteem. It’s a health matter, and here on the eve of my fortieth year, I've learned I have to make changes so I don't, you know, die. Because what good is finally being able to afford a pedicure if I lose a foot to adult onset diabetes?"

Watch a QuickTime trailer for this book.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:57 -0400)

Unfortunately, being overweight isn't simply a societal issue that can be fixed with a dose healthy of positive self-esteem. It's a health matter, and on the eve of her fortieth year, Lancaster learns to make changes. Because what good is finally being able to afford a pedicure if you lose a foot to adult onset diabetes?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,992,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible