Land of a Hundred Wonders by Lesley Kagen

Land of a Hundred Wonders

by Lesley Kagen

1951560,388 (3.59)17

Lesley Kagen does not disappoint in this funny and moving novel. Gibby being Not Quite Right had me laughing and rooting for her the entire time. I could not put this book down. Highly recommend. ( )
  lacey.tucker | Mar 10, 2016 |
Kagen has a gift for story-telling, but her writing is not quite up to par in this effort. The idea of telling the same tale twice, with a twist at the end, is straight from [Water for Elephants] - coincidence? ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 19, 2016 |
I won 12 copies of this book for my club through another website. We all enjoyed the read, enjoyed the characters and the story. Along with the books, we won a call to our meeting by the author Lesley Kagen and that sealed the deal. She was wonderful, and learning how she came to write the book made it that much better. ( )
  ER1116 | Jan 13, 2016 |
Not very enjoyable. Since I enjoyed Tomorrow River, I wanted to read more by the same author, but this was a disappointment. I only finished it because it was a very quick read. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
The is an interesting read -- part murder mystery, but also a great character study. The narrator, Gibby, has suffered a traumatic brain injury in ca car crash. The accident not only killed her parents but resulted in her being "Not Quite Right," a state she is determined to change. Set in rural Kentucky in the 1970s, the story is peopled with a variety of quirky personalities including Billy Brown, a Vietnam vet who came back from the war a different person than he had been before; Gibby's best friend Clever, a wild child whose mother has recently thrown her out of the house (again); and Miss Lydia, who conducts VISITATIONS and sells healing potions at "Land of a Hundred Wonders." The book is laugh-out-loud funny in places; the characters are sometimes rowdy & bawdy but care deeply about each other. The mystery keeps the plot moving but is really secondary to the interaction of the various characters. I wasn't sure I was going to like the book at first, but later I couldn't put it down!
  mfdavis | May 20, 2015 |
There are only tow ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a mircle. -Albert Einstein
To my family
Ya ever notice how some folks get well known for how they dress or hunt or even what kind of truck the drive?

From the national bestselling author of Whistling in the Dark comes another funny, poignant, unforgettable story.

The summer Gibby McGraw catches her big break, the cicadas are humming, and it?s so warm even the frogs are sweating. Brain damaged after a tragic car accident that took both her parents, Gibby is now NQR (Not Quite Right), a real challenge for a fledgling newspaper reporter. Especially when she stumbles upon the dead body of the next governor of Kentucky, Buster Malloy.

Armed with her trusty blue spiral note-book, Gibby figures that solving the murder might be her best chance to prove to everyone that she can become Quite Right again. But she gets more than she bargained for when she uncovers a world of corruption, racism, and family secrets in small town Cray Ridge. Lucky for her, she?s also about to discover that some things are far more important than all the brains in the world, and that miracles occur in the most unexpected moments.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:05 -0400)

Left brain damaged after a car accident that killed her parents, fledgling reporter Gibby McGraw is determined to prove that she can compete with everyone else when she stumbles upon the body of Buster Malloy, the future governor of Kentucky, and sets out to solve the murder, uncovering a web of corruption, family secrets, and racism in tiny Cray Ridge.… (more)

Lesley Kagen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,058,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible