A Field of Innocence by Jack Estes

A Field of Innocence

by Jack Estes

131723,089 (4)None

This is a memoir of Jack Estes who joins the Marines at age eighteen. He leaves home and the girl he loves and is in Vietnam during the Tet Offensive.

I was in the service during the conflict but not stationed in Vietnam. The descriptions of the Marines in action were so intense and dramatic that I had to pause to consider how bad it was for those young men.

"I'm hit" yelled more than one Marine, "...kill me" begged another who was in terrible pain.

The author provided a good insight into the other Marines he came in contact with and we viewed his own feelings in the letters he wrote home to his love, Kristen.

I enjoyed reading about the Vietnamese landscape and places like Da Nang and Ti Lon One. The memoir was so realistic that I could almost feel I was close to the action.

I think other people who were in the service during Vietnam would find this memoir a good book to read. ( )
  mikedraper | Mar 10, 2014 |

2 avail.1 pay

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,414,674 books! | Top bar: Always visible