We Disappear: A Novel (P.S.) by Scott Heim

We Disappear: A Novel (P.S.)

by Scott Heim

English (4)  French (1)  All (5)
A very moving and harrowing book. ( )
  maryintexas39 | Dec 18, 2009 |
This is a great mother son story. Lots of us face a future of having to take care of an aging, dying parent. This is a tough and tender story of what it's like to deal with that uncertain future. I wish all of us have to deal with such an interesting situation when we have to deal with our parents. I wish all of our futures could be so well written.
  e-zReader | Mar 30, 2009 |
the best book I've read all year this far. It invoked dread and sadness and despair on a level few authors achieve, and leaves the reader vulnerable and branded for life. Both beautiful and sad, this book brought me to tears at least once. Brilliant prose. ( )
  ashkek | May 18, 2008 |
scott is my hero. ( )
  lizzielou | Mar 1, 2008 |
Go, Youth

I was in a dreamstate and this was causing a problem with the traffic. I felt lonely, like I'd missed the boat, or I'd found the boat and it was deserted. In the middle of the road a child's shoe glistened. I walked around it. It woke me up a little. The child had disappeared. Some mysteries are better left alone. Others are dreary, distasteful, and can disarrange a shadow into a thing of unspeakable beauty. Whose child is that?

--James Tate
The little girls who found the body of the missing boy were not angels, although that is how the newspaper described the, the following morning, beneath the headline.

The body of a teenage boy is discovered in a Kansas field. The murder haunts Donna—a recent widow battling cancer—calling forth troubling details from long-suppressed memories of her past. Hoping to discover more about "disappeared" people, she turns to her son, Scott, who is fighting demons of his own. Addicted to methamphetamines and sleeping pills, Scott is barely holding on—though the chance to help his mother in her strange and desperate search holds out a slim promise of some small salvation.

But what he finds is a boy named Otis handcuffed in a secret basement room, and the questions that arise seem too disturbing even to contemplate. With his mother's health rapidly deteriorating, he must surrender to his own obsession, and unravel Otis's unsettling connections to other missing teens . . . and, ultimately, to Scott himself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:49 -0400)

"The body of a teenage boy is discovered in a Kansas field. The murder haunts Donna - a recent widow battling cancer - calling forth troubling details from long-suppressed memories of her past. Hoping to discover more about "disappeared" people, she turns to her son, Scott, who is fighting demons of his own. Addicted to methamphetamines and sleeping pills, Scott is barely holding on - though the chance to help mother in her strange and desperate search holds out a slim promise of some small salvation." "But what he finds is a boy named Otis handcuffed in a secret basement room, and the questions that arise seem too disturbing even to contemplate. With his mother's health rapidly deteriorating, he must surrender to his own obsession, and unravel Otis's unsettling connections to other missing teens ... and, ultimately, to Scott himself."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Scott Heim is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,364,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible