Happy for No Reason: 7 Steps to Being Happy…

Happy for No Reason: 7 Steps to Being Happy from the Inside Out

by Marci Shimoff

Other authors: Carol Kline (Author)

195760,388 (3.51)5

Rarely do I read a book and think: everyone would benefit from reading this. Happy for No Reason is one of those scarce books brimming with ideas, inspiration, research, and guidance advantageous for all people. Think about it. Who doesn’t want to be happier, every day, in every moment? If you want to better understand what factors contribute to being happy and learn simple yet effective techniques to achieve greater happiness, take the time to read this book. You will undoubtedly be motivated and discover that happiness is within us all for the taking, we just need to be open and start cultivating it. After reading Happy for No Reason, I already feel happier! Thanks to Shimoff and Kline for reminding us that our circumstances do not determine our happiness—we do.
  CherieKephart | Aug 3, 2017 |
I can't say enough great things about this book. I LOVED this book. What attracted me to it initially was the subtitle--talking about being happy from the inside out. My avid readers know Inside Out Empowerment is all about an inside out transformation of your life. So, I picked up the book and read it in record time.

I loved it because Marci used research to make her point. She interviewed 100 people she determined to be happy from the inside out to learn their secrets to success. She then summarized those qualities, traits and behaviors into seven categories which she so clearly explains in this down-to-earth, easy-to-read book. She is a wonderful storyteller, sharing stories of the people she interviewed to make her points.

If you are serious about your own happiness and your effect on the happiness of others, then you need to add this book to your library. ( )
  kimolver | Aug 9, 2010 |
I agree with the title of the book. If there is no reason to be happy or sad go for happiness. While I have heard many of these things before there was enough new stuff that it was a good book to read. The one downside was she started to go into areas that were so obvious you wonder why she included it. There is a workbook on the website which has exercises and summarizes much of the book. ( )
  GShuk | Jun 1, 2010 |
I must admit, I was SO HAPPY when I was reading this book! It was a nice refresher to dip into every day. Shimoff's advice and ideologoy isn't earth shattering or revolutionary in any way, but it was so NICE...it was the perfect antidote to all of the crap we hear day in and day out on the news.

The majority of Shimoff's advice is common sense, but it's organized very neatly, and is easy to follow. It's also nice to have someone validating your desire to be happy/optimistic. I recommend this to anyone looking to break out of a funk, who needs a little lift on a daily basis, or is looking for an alternative to the major bummer we know as CNN. ( )
  sacrain | Jun 17, 2009 |
Everyone wants to be happy, right? I know I sure do. So, why not a book that tells you how to be happy? That’s the idea behind a book I recently read titled Happy for No Reason, written by Marci Shimoff, an established self-help author & speaker.

For a book written by someone who does not follow Jesus, she admirably gets some things right. She rightly understands that trying to be happy just by doing or having things that make you happy is a dead end street. Instead, she realizes that true lasting happiness is an internal state of the soul not connected to any external circumstance. That’s a Biblical truth that even many Christians have yet to live day by day.

She also gives out some very practical & valuable wisdom in the book. Some that I particularly agreed with included looking for the lesson and the gift in any trial you are experiencing, realizing that you must question your thoughts and reject the ones that aren’t true, focusing on gratitude & forgiveness, & understanding that a properly nourished body helps our brain to function properly.

However, this good advice is immersed in a heavily new age philosophy & practice, from “going beyond your mind and letting go” to “listening to your inner voice” & “tuning in to your body’s wisdom.”

In her world there is no need for the death of Christ to establish a connection with God, no need to realize that I’m born spiritually dead until Jesus gives me life, & no need to take up a cross & die to my desires as I follow Him. I’m quite sure she wouldn’t realize that much of what she practices and advocates as a path of happiness is actually a path away from the one true God, & not toward Him.

Her “breakthrough approach to happiness” is indeed a much better path than what most people take in this life, but ultimately still falls short of the simple path of following Christ above all. Not recommended reading. ( )
  wiseasgandalf | Apr 13, 2009 |

Marci Shimoffprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kline, CarolAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 141654772X, Hardcover)

What would it take to make you happy? A fulfilling career, a big bank account, or the perfect mate? What if it didn't take anything to make you happy? What if you could experience happiness from the inside out -- no matter what's going on in your life? In "Happy for No Reason: 7 Steps to Being Happy from the Inside Out, " transformational expert Marci Shimoff offers a breakthrough approach to being happy, one that doesn't depend on achievements, goals, money, relationships, or anything else "out there." Most books on happiness tell you to find the things that make you happy and do more of them. Although there's nothing wrong with that, it won't bring you the kind of deep and lasting happiness most people long for -- the kind you'll never lose, no matter what happens in your life. Based on cutting-edge research and knowledge from the world's leading experts in the fields of positive psychology and neurophysiology, plus interviews with 100 truly happy people, this life-changing book provides a powerful, proven 7-step program that will enable you to be happier right now -- no matter where you start.

Studies show that each of us has a "happiness setpoint" -- a fixed range of happiness we tend to return to throughout our life -- that's approximately 50 percent genetic and 50 percent learned. In the same way you'd crank up the thermostat to get comfortable on a chilly day, you can actually raise your happiness set-point! The holistic 7-step program at the heart of "Happy for No Reason" encompasses Happiness Habits for all areas of life: personal power, mind, heart, body, soul, purpose, and relationships. In these pages you'll discover moving and remarkable first-person stories of people who have applied these steps to their own lives and have become Happy for No Reason. You'll read phenomenal tales from a former drug dealer turned minister, a hit filmmaker, and a famous actress who escaped a "family curse," as well as stories from doctors, mothers, teachers, and business executives. You'll learn practical strategies that will help you experience happiness from the inside out. You don't have to have happy genes, win the lottery, or lose twenty pounds. By the time you finish this book, you will know how to experience sustained happiness for the rest of your life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:38 -0400)

Everyone wants to be happy--yet so many people are unhappy today. What are they doing wrong? Clearly, a new approach is needed. Self-help guru Shimoff presents three new ideas and a practical program to change the way readers look at creating happiness in their lives: 1. Happiness is not an emotion, a spike of elation or euphoria, but a lasting, neuro-physiological state of peace and well-being. 2. True happiness is not based on what people do or have--it doesn't depend on external reasons or circumstances. 3. Research indicates that everyone has a happiness set-point. No matter what happens to a person, they will tend to return to a set range of happiness. This book shows how you can actually reprogram your set-point to a higher level.--From publisher description.… (more)

68 wanted2 pay1 pay

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,009,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible