Dead Canaries Don't Sing by Cynthia Baxter

Dead Canaries Don't Sing

by Cynthia Baxter

Rather average cozy featuring a mobile vet. I liked the idea of her career, but I didn't care much for the main character and thought the murderer was too obvious. ( )
  cmbohn | Sep 13, 2010 |
I couldn't for the life of me figure out which book came first in this series, but after reading the reviews I decided that this was number one, but as I write this, I realized...look at the copyright dates, that would be a clue...duh. Anyway, this is a slow start for me...it seems to be a theme these days, with 3 books so far started, but not making it much past the starting gate...they're not complete rubbish, so I keep on keeping on with em, just at random intervals. For me the actions and interactions, as well as the dialogue seem very forced, but I'm hoping thats something that passes, or at least I lose focus of if the story becomes more involved for me.The writing got better as the story went along, it wasn't that bad. Just hoping the next in the series is even better =) ( )
  Kace | Jan 30, 2010 |
Fun read but I kept wondering why a veterinarian would want to get involved. ( )
  AdorableArlene | Jan 24, 2010 |
Well, I've been a fan of the girl detective genre since I was reading Nancy Drew, so this book was right up my alley. This time, our intrepid heroine is a veterinarian, and her adventures in detecting are mixed up with her animal escapades. This book was just ok. Enjoyable, but not on par with something like the early Stephanie Plum books. ( )
  vanedow | Apr 10, 2009 |
A veterinarian, Jessica Popper, and her two dogs Lou and Max investigate murders. Also involved is her boyfriend, Nick.
  keefejane | Jul 6, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553586416, Mass Market Paperback)

As a veterinarian, she’s more experienced with paw prints than fingerprints. But thanks to her dogged persistence and her knack for landing on her feet, Jessie’s got murder on a very short leash.

The sun is barely up and the day is already going to the dogs. Literally. As Dr. Jessica Popper embarks on a house call to a local horse farm, her one-eyed Dalmatian, Lou, and her tailless Westie, Max, stumble upon something unexpected: a corpse half buried in the woods. As Max happily digs up the dead canary planted near the body, Jessie realizes that this corpse was clearly about to sing. But about what? Or whom?Enlisting the aid of her on-again, off-again lover, PI Nick Burby, Jess applies the stubbornness of a bloodhound and the agile moves of a cat to identify a menagerie of suspects…including one who wants her off the case badly enough to kill again.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:32 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,285,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible