Christianity's Family Tree: What Other…

Christianity's Family Tree: What Other Christians Believe and Why

by Adam Hamilton

Many people in the church today do not know much about their denomination’s history and even less about the history of other Christian denominations. Why is it important to know these things? What is the difference? Hamilton begins to answer these questions in this study while providing the historical knowledge and background needed to understand the branches on Christianity’s family tree. Starting at the very beginning with Orthodoxy and leading up to Methodism, Hamilton shows where eight different Christian denominations originated and what distinguishes them from each other. The emphasis is on what we can learn from other denominations rather than what is wrong about other denominations. In each session, we see a little bit of our own history and understand more about the overall history of Christianity. Hamilton brings it together beautifully at the end as the image of a tree emerges from the map of denominations that has grown throughout the study. By learning more about all of Christianity, we can find new ways to glorify God and love our neighbors.

The study covers Orthodoxy, Catholicism, Lutheranism, Presbyterianism, Anglicanism, Baptists, Pentecostalism, and Methodism. With the introductory and concluding chapters, there are ten sessions. Each session has a video portion that features Hamilton’s sermons on these denominations and interviews with local church leaders. ( )
  NCCUMCMediaCenter | Aug 28, 2012 |
NCLA Review - This book gives us a glimpse of the basic beliefs of eight major denominations. These being, Orthodoxy, Catholicism, Lutheranism, Presbyterianism, Anglicanism, Baptists, Pentecostalism and Methodism. He explains the origins of each and reasons for the many denominations in the world today. He compares them to a family tree with the roots being Judaism, the trunk being Jesus Christ and permeating the branches is the Holy Spirit which feeds it all and allows it to grow. All together it forms the body of Christ. The author explains that although we may disagree with each other on some issues, there are basic beliefs that bind us all together. We can listen and learn from one another and pursue a life of faith by maintaining a balance between grace and holiness, intellect and emotion, evangelism and social justice. We can accept and respect each group as worthy and a member of God's family. Rating: 4 —DM ( )
  ncla | Jul 6, 2008 |

This book is excellent for individual reading or can be used as the small group study book for the Christianity's Family Tree DVD based study.

Adam Hamilton is, in my opinion, a national treasure. He embodies the kind of generous orthodoxy so many of us have been dreaming of and praying for. This book provides something truly unique—a kind of orientation to Christianity in its wide array of forms that not only educates but inspires. It’s one of the few books I wish every single Christian would read and share with their friends.
     - Brian McLaren, author of
A New Kind of Christian

In this wise and practical book, Adam Hamilton serves as a trusted guide to some of the rich diversity of Christian belief and practice. It is a rare feat to acknowledge differences and distinctiveness appreciatively, and Hamilton does it with exceptional grace and insight.
     - L. Gregory Jones, Dean and Professor of Theology, Duke Divinity School

I love this book. Adam Hamilton teaches us that we are far richer than we know, because the beauty and the fullness of the whole church is ours. Read, learn, and be happy.
     - John Ortberg, author of God Is Closer Than You Think

In this book, Adam Hamilton presents a welcoming, inspiring vision of eight Christian denominations and faith traditions. Comparing the Christian family to our own extended families, he contends that each denomination has a unique, valuable perspective to offer on the Christian faith.

The traditions he examines are Orthodoxy, Catholicism, Lutheranism, Presbyterianism, Anglicanism, Baptists, Pentecostalism, and Methodism. For each group, Hamilton gives a brief history, outlines major beliefs, and describes some things we can learn from that tradition to strengthen our own Christian faith.

Also available is the planning kit for this video-based small-group study Christianity’s Family Tree: What Other Christians Believe and Why.

Adam Hamilton is pastor of the United Methodist Church of the Resurrection, one of the fastest growing, most highly visible churches in the country. Named by PBS’s Religion and Ethics Newsweekly as one of the top “Ten People to Watch,” Hamilton is the author of numersous video based small group studies and books from Abingdon Press.

For more information about Adam Hamilton's studies, go to www.adamhamilton.cokesbury.com.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:03 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,031,761 books! | Top bar: Always visible