A New Kind of Christian: A Tale of Two…

A New Kind of Christian: A Tale of Two Friends on a Spiritual Journey (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Brian D. McLaren

1,083None7,698 (4.02)10
Member:ericbradley
Title:A New Kind of Christian: A Tale of Two Friends on a Spiritual Journey
Authors:Brian D. McLaren
Info:Jossey-Bass (2001), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 192 pages
Rating:***

A New Kind of Christian: A Tale of Two Friends on a Spiritual Journey by Brian D. McLaren (2001)

I have heard a lot of bad things about this book, which caused me to be extremely surprised to find that I actually agree with him on many counts. There are a lot of problems that I have with Christianity as we know it, and what we've come to make our Christian culture, and he addresses many of these things in this book. There are some things that I definitely disagree with, and I have heard that since this time Brian has gone on to universalism and some other theological intricacies that I would disagree with, but I would strongly recommend this book to anyone who struggles to separate Christianity from the culture we find ourselves in and wonders how to reach out to a culture that is rapidly changing. ( )
  NGood | Feb 19, 2014 |
A New Kind of Christian is a fictional dialog between a pastor on the verge of quitting the pastorate due to his theological struggles and his daughter's wizened high school science teacher who so happens to be a former pastor. They meet during a youth event one night where a music band called, "The Amish Jellies" are rockin' away. The two men bond a friendship that carries them through a year or two of dialog about faith, salvation, philosophy, and theology. Not your typical traditional views, but views that are refined for the 21st century. Much of the book is a proscription for post-modern theology. McLaren provides ample evidence to suggest we are transitioning from the Modern era to a Post-Modern era. The church has a choice to transition with the rest of society, or pull back its reigns and hold tight to the mechanized ways of the Modern era (1500-2000 AD), essentially becoming irrelevant. McLaren also provides a Post-modern way of looking at the Gospel, not as some free ticket out of hell (Modern view), but entrance into the kingdom of God to be incarnated on earth now. The Gospel is not sold as some consumeristic product customized to individuals, but relevant to communities and nations as the prophet Isaiah spoke so much about. Salvation is not confined to being saved from hell, but a work that is to be done by serving others and modeling Christ's love to others throughout our lifetime. Although the book is 10 years old I found much of the material very refreshing, not the typical drivel coming from traditional fundamentalist authors still stuck in the Modern era today. The end of the book provides helpful and practical ways for church leaders to move their churches from the Modern era into the Post-modern.

In a nutshell this was another terrific book by Brian McLaren. A book that I think all church leaders should read. Sadly, many will toss this book aside as just another book about liberal theology. Really, it's none of that. It's simply revisioning old Biblical issues and seeing what they may look like in the 21st century and beyond. Conservatives hate the term, but cultural relevancy is key if the church wants to survive in the post-modern era. Otherwise, the church will become much like the churches we see throughout Reformation-era Europe... aged relics of the past turned into dusty museums. ( )
  gdill | May 16, 2013 |
behandeld met G8, stelt goede vragen, komt niet met antwoorden, verhaal is slecht, behandelde materie goed, werpt toch meer vragen op dan dat het antwoorden geeft, stimuleert wel ( )
  Hopsakee | Apr 2, 2011 |
I enjoyed the book and found it challenging. While I do not agree with all the authors suppositions, I found many of his questions eye opening and his suggestions perhaps enlightening as the church transitions over this next few decades. I liked his ideas of utilizing traditional methods of spirituality, intense short term retreats, monastic practices, mission trips, and the like. I find it interesting how many reviewers( not just here but on other sites) are simply dismissive of McLaren and the whole idea of emerging church. I think this will be to their own detriment. We who occupy the current church must honestly and openly interact with new kinds of Christians because I believe that more and more Christians, especially young Christians will lean towards post-modernity. I think its worth reading and genuinely considering. ( )
1 vote Madcow299 | Jan 11, 2010 |
I really enjoyed the first part of this book, but was frustrated with the ending. There are many good points made, but towards the end, however, I felt a lack of focus. Many of the issues approached are ones that I've dealt with and pondered myself, and many of the questions are well worth asking. ( )
  melopher | Jan 7, 2010 |
Sometime in 1994, at the age of thirty-eight, I got sick of being a pastor.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 078795599X, Hardcover)

A Leadership Network Publication

A New Kind of Christian's conversation between a pastor and his daughter's high school science teacher reveals that wisdom for life's most pressing spiritual questions can come from the most unlikely sources. This stirring fable captures a new spirit of Christianity--where personal, daily interaction with God is more important than institutional church structures, where faith is more about a way of life than a system of belief, where being authentically good is more important than being doctrinally "right," and where one's direction is more important than one's present location. Brian McLaren's delightful account offers a wise and wondrous approach for revitalizing Christian spiritual life and Christian congregations.

If you are interested in joining a discussion group devoted to a A New Kind of Christian please visit groups.yahoo.com/group/NKOC.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:48 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,499,497 books! | Top bar: Always visible