Who's Your City?: How the Creative…

Who's Your City?: How the Creative Economy Is Making Where to Live… (2008)

by Richard Florida

English (9)  Spanish (1)  All (10)
I read an article in the Atlantic by this author who mentioned this book and how it argues that place is very important to people. So, I expected it to be a bit more psychological--how a sense of place impacts your well being, how being in the wrong place or right place for you can affect your life, and how to find the right balance. Instead it's a book that brings together different studies and expounds upon statistics. It looks at big trends, but doesn't really go down to a personal level at all. Sure, there are examples of people who found the perfect job in the perfect place and aren't they happy now! But it doesn't really address how to reconcile things when your/your spouse's job takes you to a place that you hate, or what to do if your job has a very niche market and you can't necessarily choose the perfect place to live. The very last chapter of the book was an advice chapter but it again just relied on trends and statistics and didn't provide much help for people dealing with tough decisions.

Also, it's hard to trust a book that repeatedly sings the praises of Austin. ( )
  nicole_a_davis | Sep 28, 2014 |
What I learned from this book:

New York City is, statistically, the most neurotic space in the U.S.;

Bakersfield sucks (I already know that, book; thanks all the same);

There's something called the 'Gay/Bohemian Index' that you monied-types want your city to fall into because it means shit is about to get gentrified;

I should probably make every effort to be a goatherd someplace in the Third World (it's really all I'm qualified for with all these creative IT nerds running roughshod over everything and everyone). ( )
  KidSisyphus | Apr 5, 2013 |
I actually didn't finish this book and am returning it to the library. I'm not saying it was a bad book, just not for me -- too many statistics for someone who only took one semester of economics 40 years ago. It's also (if I read aright) not such good news for those of us in small towns who don't want to become part of a megalopolis. This is the guy who was news a while back because he posited that cities with higher proportions of gay people and "bohemians" would be more successful economically. This sounded good when I lived in the Twin Cities, and I would have thought it would be good for Brunswick, Maine as well but he seems to feel that the more crowded you are (as a city) the better. ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |
This book begins on page 294, trading experience for (statistical & antidotal) information is not so much an exercise in self-help as it is an investment in bubble psychology. Remarkable (post Freakanomics) statistics that sort of lay there without benefit of algorithm to aid in action. Great pre-App effort.

I may well be spoiled by the creative class-action of expecting momentum from what we invest attention in... if you are planning a move, go there for the weekend, return for a week, then rent for the first year. ( )
  bookworx | Feb 12, 2012 |
Many of us, having incorporated online communities into our professional and personal lives, reach the moment when we decide that the idea of place is dead--that geography no longer matters. But it doesn't take us long to realize we're wrong. And reading and thinking about Richard Florida's "Who's Your City?: How the Creative Economy Is Making Where to Live the Most Important Decision in Your Life" (2008) drives the point home. Florida, continuing to focus on the role creativity plays in making communities vital, vibrant social and economic centers, writes clearly and engagingly as he points out how "spiky" the world remains in terms of having peaks of social and economic centers that offer opportunities not to be as readily found in the valleys that exist elsewhere. "Today's key economic factors--talent, innovation, and creativity--are not distributed evenly across the global economy," he reminds us (p. 9). "They concentrate in specific locations" including centers of innovation such as Tokyo, Seoul, New York, and San Francisco (p. 25). The role of place in our lives is clearly evolving to accommodate that sense of place that includes onsite as well as online places. Which makes us embrace as well as go beyond what Florida writes. We find ourselves on terra firma and in terra virtual if we see place in a blended seamless way. The place we call home. The places we temporarily join when we travel in the course of our work. And the online places that facilitate the connections that matter most to us in terms of making us members of a variety of interconnected world-wide communities of learning, interest, and practice. ( )
  paulsignorelli | Nov 7, 2011 |
If everything that exists has a place, place too will have a place, and so on ad infinitam. - Aristotle

How in the image of material man, at once his glory and his menace, is this thing we call a city. - Frank Lloyd Wright

The large towns and especially London absorb the very best blood from all the rest of England; the most enterprising, the most highly gifted, those with the highest physique and the strongest characters go there to find scope for their abilities. - Alfred Marshall
For Rana
I'm not easily shaken.

Table of Contents:

The question of where -- Spiky world -- Rise of the mega-region -- The clustering force -- The mobile and the rooted -- Where the brains are -- Job-shift -- Superstar cities -- Shiny happy places -- Beyond Maslow's city -- Cities have personalities, too -- Three big moves -- The young and the restless -- Married with children -- When the kids are gone -- Place yourself.

It’s a mantra of the age of globalization that where we live doesn’t matter. We can innovate just as easily from a ski chalet in Aspen or a beachhouse in Provence as in the office of a Silicon Valley startup.

According to Richard Florida, this is wrong. Globalization is not flattening the world; in fact, place is increasingly relevant to the global economy and our individual lives. Where we live determines the jobs and careers we have access to, the people we meet, and the “mating markets” in which we participate. And everything we think we know about cities and their economic roles is up for grabs.

Who’s Your City? offers the first available city rankings by life-stage, rating the best places for singles, families, and empty-nesters to reside. Florida’s insights and data provide an essential guide for the more than 40 million Americans who move each year, illuminating everything from what those choices mean for our everyday lives to how we should go about making them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:16 -0400)

Globalization is not flattening the world; in fact, place is increasingly relevant to the global economy and our individual lives. Who's Your City? offers the first available city rankings by life-stage, rating the best places for singles, families, and empty-nesters to reside.--From amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,627,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible