Resident aliens : life in the Christian…

Resident aliens : life in the Christian colony (edition 2014)

by Stanley Hauerwas, William H. Willimon

Member:ojchase
Title:Resident aliens : life in the Christian colony
Authors:Stanley Hauerwas
Other authors:William H. Willimon
Info:Nashville, TN : Abingdon Press, 2014.
Collections:Wishlist, Wishlist 5

Resident Aliens: Life in the Christian Colony by Stanley Hauerwas

Quite a disappointing book given the level of fanfare it produced.

It's unfortunate that the arbitrary assumptions Hauerwas and Willimon make about secular Western culture are based such a weak interpretation of our context. They are right about the changing role of the church through the last century and the need for the church to present a real politic for our culture. But instead of theological or scriptural roots for that polis, and while ignoring the Christian development of ideas they don't like, they allow their antipathy for liberal democracy and capitalism to suffice in its stead, meaning they rather unquestioningly do little more than repeat the tired old secular leftist complaints about Western culture which have drifted about for two centuries. For example, their articulation of individualism in the West presents a mere caricature of the philosophical and historical reality of the nuanced ideas in question: ideas clearly rooted in Christian faith and history; ideas which have lead to relative relief from poverty, tyranny and war in the West. Their call for church and clergy to regain their rightful task in truth telling, in a similar fashion, sounds so noble and invigorating until one discovers that the political truth they expect to be told is just nonsense.

Christian communities are indeed aliens in the West, but not for the reasons Hauerwas and Willimon would like us to believe. ( )
  PastorBob | May 19, 2016 |
This book was all over the place. But in a good way. whether talking about if our church was true followers of Jesus and how they would act, to if we were true followers of Jesus how we would vote.

The book discusses how you don't teach language by teaching the rules first. You teach language by example. So why does the church want to teach people how to be Christians by teaching them the rules first.

This book also had great examples of what true Christian community should look like. Are we serving each other and looking to build each other up, or are we satisfying our own needs and using the community. ( )
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |

JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
Self-righteous, self-congratulatory, pompous, and unambitious: This book is a clear example of what is wrong with Seminarians. There are good ideas here (Christianity shouldn't be a slave to tradition or society), but the good ideas are underdeveloped, unsupported, and drowned in a sea of hyperbole.

The authors say things like, "God demands that we sacrifice the lives of our children and those we love to our interpretation of His will!", "Democracy and individual rights are idols!" "Biblical
authority is more important than compassion or kindness!"

I don't buy any of that and I won't endorse it. ( )
  wishanem | Jan 27, 2015 |
Severely disappointed. I had heard great things about this book. I really tried getting into it, but I just couldn't bring myself to finish it. I found it rather boring and it seemed as if the authors were rambling on to me. Even though I ascribe to many of the beliefs of the Anabaptist tradition, there didn't seem to be any new fresh insight gained from this book. Nor, did it seem there was anything new or different than what the Bible already speaks to in regards to living as aliens of this world. However, I am a fan of Hauerwas' progressive views and will likely read some of his other works sometime within the near future. ( )
  gdill | May 16, 2013 |

Hauerwas, Stanleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Willimon, William H.main authorall editionsconfirmed

In this bold and visionary book, two leading Christian thinkers explore the "alien" status of Christians in today's world and offer a compelling new vision of how the Christian church can regain its vitality, battle its malaise, reclaim its capacity to nourish souls, and stand firmly against the illusions, pretensions, and eroding values of today's world. Hauerwas and Willimon call for a radical new understanding of the church. By renouncing the emphasis on personal psychological categories, they offer a vision of the church as a colony, a holy nation, a people, a family standing for sharply focused values in a devalued world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:28 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,036,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible