Shoots to Kill by Kate Collins

Shoots to Kill

by Kate Collins

161974,103 (3.94)8

English (8)  Piratical (1)  All (9)
Couldn't put it down. ( )
  nx74defiant | Apr 30, 2017 |
That darn culprit... ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Feb 4, 2015 |
Still loving this series. Abby is visited by a horror from the past, a girl she babysat when she was younger comes back to town and proceeds to try and become Abby. LIbby has some serious problems but do they include murder?

With a few twists and turns this one just kept me reading and reading until the end.

Looking forward to the next in the series ( )
  bookswoman | Oct 22, 2013 |
It was too good to last. There were so many opposing clues strewn in this book that it would either live up to the hype and come up with a great resolution or disappoint. Now that I think of it, the author didn't even bother with a suspect list. If I had to guess who was the murderer, I would have been half right in all probability. As for the break up between Marco and Abby, I found it as tiresome as their smooching offs. That is because even when conflicted the heroine still finds the charm, the golden flecks of his brown eyes etc irresistible. Barf! That's the key and end word. ( )
  Jiraiya | Oct 13, 2013 |
Abby Knight is not thrilled when Elizabeth Blume returns to town. Abby babysat Elizabeth years ago which was not a happy experience and Abby doubts Elizabeth has changed much over the years. Sure enough, Elizabeth soon changes her name to Libby, dyes her hair red, and imitates Abby in many other ways. All of this is irritating, but when Libby seems to come between Abby and boyfriend Marco, Abby is furious. Even worse, Abby is a chief suspect when there is a murder. Now Abby has to solve the murder, try to win back Marco, and get Libby out of her life, all this while trying to run her flower shop!

I always enjoy my visits to Abby and her flower shop and "Shoots to Kill" is no different. This is the seventh book in the Flower Shop cozy mystery series and the characters feel like old friends at this point. It's nice to see Lottie and Grace, Abby's helpers in the flower shop, also help Abby solve the mystery, although I was less thrilled that Abby was helping Marco in his private investigating - it felt too much like Stephanie helping Ranger in Janet Evanovich's books. There is a nice sense of humor throughout the book (Abby's mother and her artistic endeavors provide most of the humor) mixed in with a sense of seriousness (Libby's brother Oliver is very troubled). Unfortunately, while author Kate Collins does her best to breathe fresh air into the plot line of someone stealing someone else's identity, (and it does provide some good plot elements involving Abby's relation with Marco), the plot line is limiting. Collins does do a good job of providing several suspects, but it's pretty easy to figure out who the killer is and it becomes a matter of figuring out how and why.

"Shoots to Kill" isn't the best book in the Flower Shop cozy mystery series, but it's still an enjoyable read. ( )
  drebbles | Apr 26, 2013 |
To my great big, wonderful, extended and cojoined
family, and dear friends, without whom my life
would have little meaning.
As far as I knew, being a five-foot-two-inch green-eyed redhead wasn't a crime.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451224744, Mass Market Paperback)

Eight years ago, Abby Knight babysat for a problem teen named Elizabeth. Today, Elizabeth’s back, with a new name (Libby) and a whole new life (stolen)—namely, one that already belongs to Abby. Libby’s even trying to steal Abby’s boyfriend, Marco. But imitation really becomes the sincerest form of trouble when Abby finds herself the accused dupe in a bizarre murder plot.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:36 -0400)

Eight years ago Abby Knight babysat for a problem teen named Elizabeth and now Elizabeth is back with a new name (Libby) and a whole new life that already belongs to Abby. Libby is even trying to steal Abby's boyfriend Marco until Abby finds herself the accused dupe in a bizarre murder plot.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,542,029 books! | Top bar: Always visible