The Marriage of True Minds by Stephen Evans

The Marriage of True Minds

by Stephen Evans

English (16)  All (1)  All (17)
I found this guy on the Redroom (http://redroom.com) and had no idea what his longer prose would be like. At $3.99 for the Kindle edition, I took a flier on his novel, and really enjoyed it.
It was a quick read, very funny in parts, and clipped along at breakneck pace. ( )
  mhanlon | Mar 27, 2013 |
The Marriage of True Minds opens with Nick Ward dumping 140 live lobsters into the Mayor’s swimming pool (along with salt and ice cubes) to make a statement about the environment. After being transported to an inpatient facility for the mentally ill (along with his stuffed sheepdog puppet Sancho), Nick is visited by his ex-wife Lena (a lawyer) who arrives to represent him. Very quickly, the reader learns that Nick was Lena’s law professor, they married within a short period of time and became partners in a small, environmental law practice. Now, although divorced from Nick, Lena cannot seem to completely detach from him. Nick is a quirky, brilliant, and very funny man whose behavior borders on the bizarre. Not only does he treat his puppet like a person (he prefers to refer to Sancho as an “Imaginary American”), but his empathy for real animals (especially an Irish Wolfhound named Wolfram) makes it difficult for Nick to stay out of criminal court…as a defendant.

The Marriage of True Minds is a whimsical, endearing, laugh-out-loud funny, and ultimately touching novel about the connections we have to others and what defines sanity. Filled with eccentric characters, including a comic-book loving psychiatric attendant and a husband-wife team who run the local animal shelter, the novel moves forward at an unrelenting speed. Evans is skilled at rapid-fire dialogue which captures the wit and brilliance of the characters perfectly. Lena and Nick’s relationship slips back and forth from contrary to loving and provides the tension which drives the story.

Outrageous, but oddly poignant, this novel explores idealism and the fine line between mental illness and activism through the character of Nick – a sweet, gifted man whose love of animals and others drives him to the edge of sanity. The novel is also about what it means to love another despite their flaws.

This is Stephen Evan’s debut novel…and it is a gem. Entertaining and unforgettable, it is highly recommended for those who love literary fiction with memorable and irresistible characters. ( )
1 vote writestuff | Apr 11, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Very cute. An enjoyable read. The animal rights aspect is something I find very interesting, and I like the way Evans handled it. I saw in another review that the killing of animals in shelters is what started him writing this book, and that is something I care deeply about--I can't go into kill shelters because I will want to take all the animals home with me! ( )
  maria.owen | Jul 27, 2009 |
Current favorite. Going to read it again... and buy it and send out as presents... blackmail people into reading it... Thanks Stephen! ( )
  dianabertram | May 11, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I thought this book was magnificently quirky:) I loved the story between the 'three' main characters, Nick and Lena (and Sancho - the hand puppet), but I felt it read more like a play than a novel. I, also, think that in a novel there can be more than just five or six characters, but for Mr. Evans' first foray into novel writing , he did an excellent job creating a great story about love lost, love re-earned and love fulfilled! ( )
  Anbigin | Dec 16, 2008 |

The story of a crossed love that is star to every wandering bark. Together as husband and wife, Nick Ward and Lena Grant ran a successful boutique law firm in Minneapolis, vanquishing all their legal foes side by side. When Nick's charmingly erratic behavior finally became too much for Lena, the marriage and the partnership ended. But--like C.K. Dexter Haven and Tracy Lord--it seems that Lena and Nick just can't quite separate. Lena works out fiercely, keeps her dates with the boring and conventional Preston Winter, and daily battles on against corporate greed. But Nick's not doing so well. Sti.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Stephen Evans's book The Marriage of True Minds was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Stephen Evans is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,985,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible