Wings: A Fairy Tale by E. D. Baker

Wings: A Fairy Tale

by E. D. Baker

An engaging adventure

Tamisin has always suspected she is different from other girls. She has pointy ears and sparkling freckles and sees half-human beings no one else seems to notice. Or maybe she is just crazy. But when wings sprout on her back, any lingering doubt disappears.

In search for answers to the questions her parents don’t have, Tamisin follows Jak, a mysterious boy from her school, into a parallel world where fairies and goblins live.

Soon Tamisin and Jak are fighting for their lives while trying to solve the puzzle of her origins and the reason for the prize someone has put on her head.

I found Wings to be an intriguing tale with sympathetic characters and fast paced action, even if the logic within the story doesn't always work--Tamisin is more upset because her parents have never told her she is adopted than because she has just grown wings--and, on occasion, the characters seem to act in a certain way because the plot demands it, but don't have a reasonable motivation to do so. For instance Tamisin runs into the sea of grass because she doesn't trust Jak. Then after meeting the Lamia, she decides she trusts Jak after all and goes back to him. But nothing has happened in between to make her change her mind.

Yet, overall, Wings is an engaging story that will leave you smiling.
  CarmenFerreiro | Mar 28, 2016 |
The beginning and the ending were a bit weak with a few too many issues ignored or glossed over for my taste. The rest of the story was pretty good, though; and the kids and I enjoyed reading it together. ( )
  TnTexas | Mar 31, 2013 |
Enjoyable story. Poor Tamisin. As if she doesn't have enough difficulties, wings spout from her back and then goblins kidnap her and take her to the realm of the fey where she is to be used against her mother, Titania, Queen of teh Faeries. Titania had a fling with a mortal bespelled to resemble a goblin and when Titania gave birth, she was persuaded by her lady-in-waiting, Lurinda, to send the child away to the human world so that it could not cause scandal and poltical difficulties. Titania does so, but comes to regret that she had to and takes it out on Lurinda. Then Lurinda, who by now loathes Titania and wants to rule the Fey in her stead, orchestrates an elaborate plan to lure Tamisin back to her birthplace so she can be used as leverage against Titania. Jak, a halfling of the Cat Goblin clan is sent to bring the girl back, but he falls in love with her and so, by story's end, Titania is still in control, but working out the problems with the goblins, Lurinda's escaped and Jak and Tamisin are on their way back to the human world. Still hate Titania. She comes across as a selfish, callous witch. And it feels like a sequel is on the way... I mean, Lurinda is still on the loose, with the power to open a faerie gate anywhere, anytime. Tamisin will "have" to return to Titania someday...Oh, and my favorite scenes were with Lamia Lou and Herbert the Unicorn! ( )
  MissClark | Jan 19, 2012 |
I admit, I was not enthusiastic about reading this book. I really liked the first couple Frog Princess books, but sort of lost interest in the series around the fourth book (that happens to me frequently - no reflection on the series, which I just purchased for our library!). But while I was still interested in the series, I automatically added Wings to my to read list. Somehow, it stayed on there despite various reviews which said it was, well, too sweet. And I decided just to skim it quickly...

I loved it! Yes, it's a "happy" story. There's tension, confusion, some painful scenes, some betrayal. But in the end, it's happy. Yes, there are little dancing fairies. Yes, the main character is the daughter of...well, we'll let you figure it out. But I liked it! The characters fit well into the plot and acted in accordance with their roles. I especially felt the descriptions of the wings and trying them out were well-drawn. And there's plenty of tension left over for me to want another book right now! But apparently the next book in this trilogy won't be out for a while.

Verdict: This book is for those little girls who've grown out of their fairy series but still like sparkly wings and fairy dancing. For those who like adventure with a happy ending. And for those who don't feel like they belong anywhere. Plus, the lamias were really funny!

ISBN: 978-1599901930; Published April 2008 by Bloomsbury; Borrowed from the library; Purchased for the library
  JeanLittleLibrary | Oct 30, 2011 |
Great read, creative story. ( )
  Erolene | Sep 10, 2010 |
Tamisin Warner first saw real goblins the Halloween she was eleven.

When Tamisin discovers that she is half fairy, she decides to find out more answers directly from the fairies themselves, including her mother, the fairy queen.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,046,576 books! | Top bar: Always visible