Lost Laysen by Margaret Mitchell

Lost Laysen (1996)

by Margaret Mitchell

Margaret Mitchell's photos, writings and letters were destroyed when she passed away in 1949. However, in the mid 90's, a previously undiscovered manuscript, letters and photos were turned in to The Tara Museum. "Lost Laysen" is a compilation of these previously undiscovered gems, including a story written by Margaret when she was 16 years old. It's supposed to parallel "Gone with the Wind" in some areas, but don't get too excited if you don't see many of those parallels. ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
Not too long ago the world had thought that Margaret Mitchell had only 1 story to tell. With the discovery of Henry Love Angel's cache of her letters, pictures and two notebooks we have been given insight into a period of Margaret's life that would shape her future. This book is a collection of those very items.

The letters and pictures have provided us an insight into "Peg's" style, attitude, candor, and writing. The notebooks ended up being a delightful little story called "Lost Laysen" which also contains many similarities to her masterpiece "Gone with the Wind".

Being a huge "GWTW" fan, this was a must read for me and I enjoyed every page. It is sad to think that this story is all that remains of the many that she probably wrote before her one novel, yet it is an enjoyable read from her at the young age of 16. We can only imagine what other tales she had to tell . . . ( )
  JEB5 | Oct 30, 2013 |
2,5 en fait...
Agréable à lire mais sans plus. ( )
  Moncoinlecture | Apr 4, 2013 |
In this edition the story "Lost Laysen" is told first. I liked that story, short, to the point about a theme that is universal: an impossible love. What I found very impressive is that Mitchell wrote it at such a young age.

The part about Mitchell with pictures and information about her life I found not so interesting. As a person this writer did not interest me, so reading about her life, her passion was quite hard. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
CAYAA
  JohnMeeks | Nov 28, 2009 |

Margaret Mitchellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mons, AnnetTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bill Duncan settled back in his chair and lit his pipe.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684824280, Hardcover)

Until 1995, Gone with the Wind--the 1937 Pulitzer Prize winner and perhaps the bestselling novel of all time--was the only published work of fiction credited to Margaret Mitchell. But 45 years after her death, the Road to Tara Museum unveiled what amounts to a national treasure--a novella written by America's most beloved storyteller. Lost Laysen is an exciting tale of love and honor on a South Pacific island. A rough-edged Irish boatsman is smitten with the feisty and independent Courtenay Ross. "Charley boy, I sure did love that little woman, I couldn't help it, tho I knew I never had a chance--she wasn't my kind. I wonder why it's always the little women that appeal to us big fellows?" Courtenay is engaged to a dapper young American who loves her so much, he follows her to the remote island of Laysen to persuade her to come home. What's so remarkable about this story is that Mitchell was just 16 when she put pen to paper and wrote the entire piece in less than a month's time.

Henry Love Angel, a close friend and likely admirer, was the recipient of the two notebooks in which the manuscript for Lost Laysen was written. It was Angel's grandson who discovered the amazing treasure that had been passed down to him--a box of photographs, negatives, correspondence from Mitchell to Angel, and the manuscript. "My dear--" begins one letter. "I was so proud of you, last time I saw you--proud of your love, your courage and resignation and most of all your self confidence. Don't let it drop my dear. I have prayed so hard that you would have it because without it you can never amount to much. With it and work, the world lies ahead. If ever you begin to get discouraged and lose confidence in your self--draw on my supply for I believe in you. Just set your mark and go to it." The never-before-seen photographs show Mitchell and a variety of friends goofing for the camera. This book provides charming insight into a brief period of Mitchell's life--one full of youthful folly, exuberance, and obvious joy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:06 -0400)

A love triangle in the South Pacific is the plot of this recently discovered short novel by the author of Gone with the Wind, written when she was 16 years old. The book also contains intimate letters from the author to a man friend.

19 avail.1 pay

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,418,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible