The Compound by S.A. Bodeen

The Compound

by S.A. Bodeen

Series: Compound (1)

Slow start but it gets much better. I enjoyed it. ( )
  taranator | Jul 11, 2017 |
Entertaining, but predictable. I wasn't aware that it's a series? ( )
  Kaytron | Feb 28, 2017 |
sick, sick, sick ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
2015 Rating System: 5
  ZetherBooks | Jun 15, 2016 |
**SPOILER** There are times when I am willing to suspend incredulity when a story is just a little too incredible to believe and I'll go along for the ride, ala Haddix's "Running Out of Time." "Compound" isn't one of those stories. It just wasn't conceivable to me that a billionnaire would lock his family underground in an extensive compound for 15 years, even if he was mentally ill. And even less believable that his wife would go along with the plan. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
This is the way the world ends/This is the way the world ends/This is the way the world ends/Not with a bang but a whimper. ~T.S. Eliot
For Bailey
T.S. Eliot was wrong. My world ended with a bang the minute we entered the Compound and that silver door closed behind us.

Eli and his family have lived in the underground Compound for six years. The world they knew is gone, and they’ve become accustomed to their new life. Accustomed, but not happy. No amount of luxury can stifle the dull routine of living in the same place, with only his two sisters, only his father and mother, doing the same thing day after day after day. As problems with their carefully planned existence threaten to destroy their sanctuary—and their sanity—Eli can’t help but wonder if he’d rather take his chances outside. Eli’s father built the Compound to keep them safe. But are they safe—really?

The Compound is a 2009 Bank Street - Best Children's Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:47 -0400)

After his parents, two sisters, and he have spent six years in a vast underground compound built by his wealthy father to protect them from a nuclear holocaust, fifteen-year-old Eli, whose twin brother and grandmother were left behind, discovers that his father has perpetrated a monstrous hoax on them all.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,937,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible