Somewhere Towards the End by Diana Athill

Somewhere Towards the End (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Diana Athill

Member:LARA335
Title:Somewhere Towards the End
Authors:Diana Athill
Info:Granta Books (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback
Collections:2012

Somewhere towards the end by Diana Athill (2008)

Started out fresh, then lagged a bit and finally, ended well. Description of Athill's memoir about aging (written at age 88)might be a satisfying description of a life. I particularly enjoyed her chapters on her atheism and her reading predilections. I too find (at a much younger age than hers) that my interest in reading novels (and watching movies, perhaps for the same reasons) has diminished as I get older, while my pleasure in reading both non-fiction and poetry (Athill doesn't mention poetry)has intensified. In most other respects, my life and point of view differ quite radically from Athill's, so reading her memoir did not illicit spasms of affirmative head-nodding on my part. However, I appreciated her honesty in not trying to make herself appear better, kinder, more loving or selfless than she sees herself as being. ( )
  Paulagraph | May 25, 2014 |
About aging by an 89 year old. Excellent! ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Diana speaks forthrightly and honestly about the changes she's experienced as she's aged. She is at this writing 89. She speaks of the ebbing of sex, when to stop driving her car, the deaths of those she knew and her hopes for her own passing. She found that taking classes was enjoyable, and the she has few regrets. Gardening still gives her great pleasure though it is more difficult. I enjoyed her book and expect that I will reread it in about 10 years. ( )
  k8davis | May 21, 2013 |
Diana Athill, a top British editor, wrote this short reflection on life and how it might end for her when she was 89. The writing is stunning, every sentence is perfectly-crafted and thoughful. Short as it is, however, its not short enough: the brilliance of the writing is not enough to overcome the tedium of the subject illuminated only occasionally by the witty recounting of stories and unusual characters. I don't often feel disappointed in myself if I didn't enjoy the book, but here I feel there is something in me that is lacking, that I should be able to appreciate this beautifully-written and poetic memoir. But I didn't. ( )
  Petra.Xs | Apr 2, 2013 |
A charmingly frank woman, proving delightfully that age need not affect one's wit and independent thought. ( )
  LARA335 | Dec 9, 2012 |
It ain't no sin
To take off your skin
And dance about
In your bones.

Edgar Leslie
For Sally, Henry, Jessamy and Beauchamp Bagenal

This book tells the story of what it means to be old: how the pleasure of sex ebbs, how the joy of gardening grows, how much there is to remember, to forget, to regret, to forgive - and how one faces the inevitable fact of death.

W.W. Norton

Two editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 039306770X, 0393338002

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,484,543 books! | Top bar: Always visible