Wit's End by Karen Joy Fowler

Wit's End (2008)

by Karen Joy Fowler

3752028,807 (3.01)30

Fun, fluffy and a little bit complex. Great weekend reading. I doubt I'll remember the plot in a month. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
What a completely pointless book. Rima goes to stay with her godmother Addison, who is a famous mystery writer, after her father dies. Then for the rest of the book bascially nothing happens except the hosuekeepers son coming and going, descriptions of dachsunds, and excerpts from Addisons books which add nothing to the nonstory. What a complete waste of time. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
used; 80,000 vnd
  shopofhope | Sep 11, 2013 |
I kept hoping that if I kept reading I would understand what this novel was about. Instead, it just felt like a collection of characters thrown together with not much of a plot to much them along. I finished it but was disappointed that I spent the time on it. The best parts were the descriptions of the coastline - very nicely written. ( )
1 vote Lcwilson45 | Oct 23, 2010 |
I really liked The Jane Austen Book Club and I hoped that the author followed a similar thread in telling this story. She didn't. I read the whole thing, but I don't feel like this book is actually about anything. The plot plods along, but nothing really happens. The characters are not very sympathetic and I struggled to care what happened to them. I think this could have been told better in a series of short stories/essays, or as a novella. It just kept dragging on and on. ( )
2 vote JenSay | Jul 8, 2010 |
It seems only fair that I live with the people I've killed.

A. B. Early, interview with Ms. Magazine, June 1983
To Mike Burke:

mathematician, cook, teacher, backpacker, brother
Miss Time was seated with her feet on the floor and her head on the table.
Published in the U.S. as "Wit's End" and in the U.K as "The Case of the Imaginary Detective".

"[A] delightful and eccentric new tale"(The Boston Globe) from the author of the runaway bestseller The Jane Austen Book Club

In Karen Joy Fowler's newest novel, the bestselling author of The Jane Austen Book Club once again delivers top-notch storytelling, creating characters both oddball and endearing in a voice that is utterly and memorably her own. Wit's End is a clever, playful novel about finally allowing oneself to grow up-with a dash of mystery thrown in.

At loose ends and weary from her recent losses-the deaths of an inventive if at times irritating father and her beloved brother-Rima Lansill comes to Wit's End, the home of her legendary godmother, bestselling mystery writer Addison Early, to regroup...and in search of answers. For starters, why did Addison name one of her characters-a murderer-after Rima's father? But Addison is secretive and feisty, so consumed with protecting her famous fictional detective, Maxwell Lane, from the vagaries of the Internet that-rumor has it- she has writer's block. As one woman searches for truth, the other struggles to control the reality of her fiction.

Rima soon becomes enmeshed in Addison's household of eccentrics: a formerly alcoholic cook and her irksome son, two quirky dog-walkers, a mysterious stalker, the tiny characters that populate Addison's dollhouse crime-scene replicas, and even Maxwell Lane himself. But, wrapped up in a mystery that may or may not be of her own creation, Rima discovers to her surprise that the ultimate solution to this puzzle is the new family she has found at the house called Wit's End.

Playfully exploring the blurred boundaries between reality and virtual reality, fiction and fact, Karen Joy Fowler subverts the whodunit and gives us a thoroughly modern meta-mystery with wit, warmth, and heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:07 -0400)

What happens when readers steal your characters? Rima Lanisell is about to find out when she visits her estranged godmother, Addison Early, the successful mystery writer of the Maxwell Lane mysteries, and discovers the truth behind Addison's novels.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,932,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible