Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman

Stuck in Neutral (original 2000; edition 2001)

by Terry Trueman

Member:kebets
Title:Stuck in Neutral
Authors:Terry Trueman
Info:HarperTeen (2001), Paperback, 128 pages
Rating:*****

Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (2000)

Wonder by R. J. Palacio (FFortuna)
    Wish by Joseph Monninger (kaledrina)
    Cruise Control by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Companion novels, the same story from different perspectives.

Shawn's inner life is amazingly well drawn, complete with humor and out-of-body experiences and male teen fixations. His parents fail him in a variety of ways. His dad, while agonizing about Shawn's pain, leaves the family because he can't handle it; but them builds his career from a poem he wrote about that angst. What a loser! His mother functions at a much higher level, seeming to provide all that she can; except that she still relates to him as an infant. That would be hard to pull off. His siblings are fiercely protective and treat him as an individual, even without any of the feedback usually needed in relationships.
I look forward to reading more about this family. ( )
  2wonderY | Jul 1, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book. It looks at cerebral palsy, which is a disease I wasn't really familiar with. The ending was tough for me to read. ( )
  scote23 | Dec 26, 2013 |
I'm not sure why this book got so many accolades. It was okay but not anything I want to tell everyone in the world about. ( )
  Brainannex | Oct 25, 2013 |
So sad. :[ ( )
  Melumebelle | Aug 8, 2013 |
This packs a punch in a mere 114 pages. The writing is sparse and excellent with no need for more embellishment.

Compact and haunting, this Printz Honor book is a story of fourteen year old Shawn who is profoundly impacted by cerebral palsey. With no control of his muscles, and no ability to communicate, those in his environment deem him severely stuck in an area wherein they cannot fathom his mind working.

While Shawn cannot communicate, he is indeed a genius and able to remember details and process the world around him.

He is loved by his parents and siblings, but the toll of taking care of him and the emotional fortitude required is too much for his father. This results in his father leaving the home.

Shawn has no doubt his father loves him. Perhaps his father loves him so much that he might decide to take Shawn's life to put him out of his perceived misery.

While his body is weak, his mind is strong. If only Shawn could communicate with his father to tell him he longs to live!

Highly recommended. Five Stars. ( )
  Whisper1 | Jun 14, 2013 |

Terry Truemanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heller, JohnnyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents and my sons.
My name is Shawn McDaniel. My life is like one of those "good news-bad news" jokes. Like, "I've got some good news and some bad news - which do you wanna hear first?
"Will anyone ever know that my life, once lived and then over, was one of perfect remembering? No one will know. No one will know me. I'm just not ready to give up the hope that someday I might be known. I'm not ready."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064472132, Paperback)

Fourteen-year-old Shawn McDaniel loves the taste of smoked oysters and his mother's gentle hugs. Unfortunately, it's impossible for Shawn to feed himself or to hug his mom back. Shawn has cerebral palsy, a condition he has had since birth that has robbed him of all muscle control. He can't walk, talk, or even focus his eyes on his own. But despite all these handicaps, despite the frustration of not being able to communicate, Shawn is still happy to be alive: "Somehow all the things I think about and remember turn to joy... favorite movies... pinecones... chocolate pudding... the scent of Comet in a stainless steel sink.... Life can be great, even for me. Even for me." That is why he panics when he begins to suspect that his father is thinking of killing him. Shawn knows that his father is trying to be kind; he imagines that his son's life is an endless torment. His dad has no idea of the rich life that Shawn lives inside his head. And Shawn, helpless and mute, has no way of telling him.

Stuck in Neutral is a truly unique journey into the mind of a truly unique character. Shawn McDaniel, who is literally trapped in his own body, will serve as a powerful metaphor for teens who feel cornered by circumstances or their own physical shortcomings. Terry Trueman's first-person portrayal of Shawn is made all the more poignant by the fact that Trueman's own son, Henry, also suffers from cerebral palsy. This is an original and moving debut. (Ages 11 to 15) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:41 -0400)

Fourteen-year-old Shawn McDaniel, who suffers from severe cerebral palsy and cannot function, relates his perceptions of his life, his family, and his condition, especially as he believes his father is planning to kill him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,490,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible