Distemper by James Nulick

Distemper

by James Nulick

Right now I think this book is the "Broke Back Mountain" of this genre. I can understand understand people not being able to embrace it yet because our society has ingrained a negative reaction to these kinds of stories, but I sincerely hope that one day our culture will open up and accept this story and how courageous it was for the author to even write it. Thank you James.

In brief, Distemper is a story that looks into the world of man who is realizing his sexuality and how he is dealing with it. There are events that transpire that can occur in any story but what makes this book so special is it's homosexual spin. One's sexuality shouldn't overshadow the events like they do but in this book, it seems to just fuel each emotion, scenario, and/or event. With that said, our current society is now just begining to accept and understand homosexuality so readers may be turned off to the story instantly, but that is just a reflex our society and culture has embedded in us. As a member of society, I do admit that I had these initial reactions but I quickly realized that if I wanted to grow, I needed to drop my walls and try to understand and experience what Drew (the main character) was experiencing towards Tre (a younger male characters) was experiencing.

By today's standards, this book walks a fine line between homosexuality and pedaphilia but I believe it is more important to look at Drew's growth as he is experiencing his sexual enlightening rather than dwell on age. I think this is a great book for anyone who would like to step out of their skin or is interested in learning more about life from a homosexual point of view and how UNdifferent it is from heterosexual's life. I also think it is a good book for people who are curious about homosexuality or may just be begining their own sexual enlightenment. ( )
  Renny31 | Nov 14, 2010 |
This book is witty and very well written, it looks very good and even the font has been chosen with care and the size is appealing as well. A wounderful book, a great writer, but call me old fashioned since I had to drop it because of the subject. Sorry James, change this and you'll be my favorite author, you do have a gift for writing ( )
  bilja | Oct 17, 2010 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

James Nulick's book Distemper was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

James Nulick is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,197,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible