The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical…

The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home, Revised and…

by Susan Wise Bauer, Jessie Wise

This is the sort of book that makes me wish my kids were still little. It describes how to home-school your children starting with infancy and going through high school, whether or not they also attend a regular school. The method described in this book is about as far from John Holt/Summerhill "unschooling" as you can get, but it's also not about sitting your kids down with a bunch of worksheets and anti-evolution tracts. If you are at all interested in homeschooling or supplementing your child's education, this book will give you a lot of good ideas. ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |
A very instructive book that provided invaluable help with my self-education process. Very thorough and helpful, listing many good resources. ( )
  HadriantheBlind | Mar 29, 2013 |
I began homeschooling my oldest daughter with knowledge from the first edition of ths book, and now I use curriculum and resources from both books, as well as teaching methods. The authors have such a following that they now produce books to help teach this way and i have found all fo them I have looked at thus far to be of high quality. But we use good old fashioned methods more often thannot, with my daughter outlining parts of history encyclopedias and puttin post it notes on a timeline. It makes a teaching method known as "the Trivium" accessible and easy to understand, and my children are just really floursihing using this method of homeschooling. They get a full days worth of school in with plenty of 1/2 hour breaks to play. If you are considering homeschooling and would like to know where you are lacking in your own education, read this book. And don't be intimidated by it's size. just read the section of the age groups that apply to your family. And Classical Education homeschooling is not for devout Christian families alone. We have modified it to make sense through a Unitarian Universalist perspective and it's amazing.

But don't homeschool until you've read this book. That would be my recommendation. ( )
1 vote nlaurent | Dec 28, 2008 |
One of the cornerstone books for parents considering a 'Classical Education' for homeschooling or supplementary schooling, this book has a lot to offer to homeschoolers of almost all persuasions. As the author herself says (and expands on her fantastic website) this book is not intended as a strict 'how-to' but more an explanation of an approach and a guide that you can take from as much as you want.

The authors (mother and daughter) clearly explain the reasoning behind their approach, and what they believe the benefits are, leaving the reader with an understanding of a potentially beneficial approach to educating your child. You can simply read the chapters explaining the classical education ideas; read the sections on what age-groups relate to your children and take what you like; or use the outlined curriculums in your own home. There are a lot of references to publications and websites - you are sure to learn that the world of homeschooling is a big and varied one, and you can spend a lot of time using the references in this book to explore it! ( )
5 vote ForrestFamily | Nov 19, 2008 |
This book is a ‘guide to classical education at home’. This book is nicely broken up into categories for age/grade level and explains what to teach, how to teach it, and provides extensive lists of resources and books.

I have found that with every education book I read I want to do it all! I love the some of the Charlotte Mason stuff, and now I also want to draw from this approach as well. I know I can’t do it ALL though so I’m sure I’ll find as I go along I’ll draw bits and pieces from various approaches to find what works for our family.

This book has helped me stay focussed for now though and suggests that the Kindergarten year (ages 4-5) should be spent learning to read, to write (but learnt independently from reading so as to not hold up reading while waiting for fine motor skills to develop) and numeracy…understanding numbers 1-100. This seems a simple start, although the classical approach provides a rigorous education….starting with ancient history for 6 years olds for example. We shall see. ( )
1 vote Embejo | Nov 5, 2008 |

Susan Wise Bauerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wise, Jessiemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Please don't combine the 1st and 2nd editions of The Well-Trained Mind (both co-authored by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise). Once the authors started publishing their own homeschooling resource books, their book guidance radically changed to the point where I wouldn't consider them the same work.

The 3rd edition comes out in 2009. It remains to be seen whether it's substantially different from the 2nd.

"Outstanding...should be on every home educator's reference bookshelf."—Homeschooling Today

This book will instruct you, step by step, on how to give your child an academically rigorous, comprehensive education from preschool through high school. Two veteran home educators outline the classical pattern of education—the trivium—which organizes learning around the maturing capacity of the child's mind: the elementary school "grammar stage," the middle school "logic stage," and the high school "rhetoric stage." Using the trivium as your model, you'll be able to instruct your child in all levels of reading, writing, history, geography, mathematics, science, foreign languages, rhetoric, logic, art, and music, regardless of your own aptitude in those subjects.

Newly revised and updated, The Well-Trained Mind includes detailed book lists with complete ordering information; up-to-date listings of resources, publications, and Internet links; and useful contacts.

An excellent resource for any family with a desire to incorporate a classical education in their home, whether as a curriculum or as a reference. (Educational Freedom Press)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:32 -0400)

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,301,308 books! | Top bar: Always visible