Six Innings by James Preller

Six Innings

by James Preller

Little league and baseball fans will love this book. Lots of baseball detail here. The whole book is one 6 inning baseball game announced by a boy with cancer who can not play the game. ( )
  librarian1204 | Apr 27, 2013 |
Two teams battle for the little league championship baseball game. Sam is the game’s announcer – he’s injured (sick, cancer) and so can’t play – but lives through each moment of the game. I really loved how the story brought you into how different players felt at each small moment of the game, play by play. ( )
  m.scheuer | Oct 11, 2008 |
This book made me, an absolute non-baseball fan, finally understand what that game is all about. The short title will be adored by baseball lovers. It covers, with extraordinary depth, one championship little league game. Also on the table is one character's cancer and others' various trials. I'm not sure how well the book illuminated those things, but the book is well worth reading just for the baseball drama. ( )
  ohioyalibrarian | Aug 18, 2008 |
I wrote the author a fan letter:
Hi James Preller -
I'll never be able to drive by or ride my bike past a baseball diamond with a team practicing or playing and not think about Sam and Branden and Dylan and Mike...
Thanks for a fine and simple story -- I am a children's librarian and I have read children's books to children for almost 40 years. I blog about children's books at Anokaberry. I posted Six Innings just now and added a link to your website as well. I loved your book. I loved Uncle Jimmy and Carter -- "Carter stared at the photo, absorbing every detail. To him, it confirmed everything he had ever suspected. The world was not fair. Not even baseball." I marked many passages with post-its -- It is a library book, after all... I loved the note in the Acknowledgements -- "Much of the first draft of this book was written by hand in a spiral notebook in the Bethlehem Public Library in Delmar, New York..." I write a fan letter to an author every now and again. I do it to connect and to thank you for writing respectfully and finely for our young people. And to let you know that your story moved and inspired me. The fineness of your writing was perfection in this little book. ( )
  anokaberry | May 14, 2008 |

Two teams, six innings, one game.

A lively cast of characters—baseball-loving boys between the ages of eleven to thirteen—are playing the biggest game of their lives. With acrobatic catches, clutch hits, dramatic whiffs, and costly errors, this game is full of action. But as the book unfolds, pitch by pitch, a deeper story emerges, with far more at stake: Sam and Mike, best friends, are trying to come to terms with Sam’s newly diagnosed cancer. And this baseball diamond becomes the ultimate testing ground of Sam and Mike’s remarkable friendship as they strive to find a way to both come out winners.

This is for the championship.

This is for life.

Six Innings is a 2009 Bank Street - Best Children's Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:37 -0400)

Earl Grubb's Pool Supplies plays Northeast Gas & Electric in the Little League championship game, while Sam, who has cancer and is in a wheelchair, has to call the play-by-play instead of participating in the game.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,550,978 books! | Top bar: Always visible