The Breeds of Man by F. M. Busby

The Breeds of Man (1988)

by F. M. Busby

This novel is hardly futuristic since it is set in the 1990's or maybe early 2000's. But it is science fiction (I think) because it tells the story of the Mark Twos a new kind of human with a survival adaptation that makes them immune to AIDS. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 16, 2017 |
Knowing that one is collaterally descended from a virus can be somewhat humbling.
Origins
Rome dos Caras
To Any and Lou and Tappan
The President Task Force, Cogdill thought, needed someone who knew how to ramrod.

The Mark Twos were a breed apart, similar to other humans in every way but one: a survival adatpation different from any seen before.
When it was discovered how remarkable that adaptation was, the implications were staggering... because in a world where fear and suspicion reigned, where disease limited population growth, and where survival of the human race depended on a cure for that disease, the Mark Twos were the answer: not a cure, but a new kind of humanity.

This is their story for survival.
---------------

As far back as I can remember, I knew I was different from most people. And so were the rest of the kids, my age and younger, in the Enclave. What the difference was, I had no idea, because nobody said. And I couldn't ask; the hints gave me nothing solid to go on.
But I knew. Every time I had a physical exam, the doctors and nurses inspected the ultrasonic pictures of my insides and nodded as if everything was all right, or else looked puzzled and said things like "I don't know; we'll just have to wait and see."
"Wait and see what?" I said, one time. "Whether I've got cancer or something?" The younger doctor, the intern, shook her head and laughed. Oh no, I was perfectly all right; Dr Gill's voice sounded honest enough, so I believed her when she said these special tests were just part of the project the doctors were working on. And when they had some real answers, they'd tell me all about it.

Except they never did. But I found out anyway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,624,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible