Ready: Why Women Are Embracing the New Later…

Ready: Why Women Are Embracing the New Later Motherhood

by Elizabeth Gregory

I was disappointed by Ready. As a 27 year-old married attorney who doesn't feel quite "ready" to have children yet, I was hoping that this book would give me reassurance that my choice is the right one for me. However, I was frustrated by a lot of the positive statistics. They were either misleading or vague. For example Ms. Gregory mentions a few times the fact that most later mothers are in stable relationships where as their younger counterparts are not. However, the statistic she is referring to compares women who are 35 to teenagers! Well of course, most teenagers are not married!

I was also angry when reading the section on fertility. Her researched figures and numbers are extremely positive until you realize that the numbers do not include women who have already been found to be infertile. Therefore, when she recites the statistic that 90% of women between 30 and 35 are fertile that only means 90% of women who are not already known to be infertile.

In Elizabeth Gregory's defense, she does not hide or try to conceal these statistics in anyway. They are not hidden in the back footnotes.

The part of the book I found to be most helpful was the section where Ms. Gregory discusses a later mother's higher salary and more secure position within her job. This section of the book was well researched and her statistics were clear and unambiguous.

Given the chance to go back in time, I would not buy this book simply because I don't feel that it taught me anything that I don't already know or that isn't common knowledge or common sense. ( )
  Brianna_H | Apr 14, 2008 |

"In Ready, Elizabeth Gregory tracks the burgeoning trend of new later motherhood and demonstrates that for many women today, waiting for family works best. She provides compelling evidence of the benefits of having children later - by birth or by adoption. Gregory reveals that large numbers of women succeed in having children between 35 and 44 by the usual means (one in seven kids born today has a mom in that age range), and that many of those who don't succeed nonetheless find alternate routes to happy families via egg donation or adoption. And they're glad they waited. Without ignoring the complexities that older women may face in their quest to have children, Gregory reveals the many advantages of waiting." "Based on in-depth interviews with more than 100 new later moms and extensive collateral research, Ready shatters the myths surrounding later motherhood. Drawing on both the statistical evidence and the voices of the new later mothers themselves, Gregory delivers surprising and welcome news that will revolutionize the way we think about motherhood."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,146,214 books! | Top bar: Always visible