Confessions of a Triple Shot Betty by Jody…

Confessions of a Triple Shot Betty

by Jody Gehrman

As a YA book I was abundantly aware that the characters would be somewhat two-dimensional as they were more like archetypes than actual characters, especially as the story is adapted from Much Ado About Nothing and so I was willing to accept lapses in the writing in order to read the book. Overall, the book is well written though the main characters are somewhat shallow, although I have yet to determine if this was intentional of the author, and the read itself was easy. The protagonist Geena's two best friends have never met, but imagining a perfect summer Geena has arranged for the three of them to work at Triple Shot Betty's for the summer. However, fireworks arise upon meeting and Geena's dream summer is almost certainly ruined. With constant fighting amongst Amber and Hero and a sprinkling of romantic intrigue the two come together only to unite Geena romantically with her antagonist. As I said I wasn't expecting round characters, but found the characters more flat than I imagined despite the author's prowess in plot development.

What is great about this book is that it feels like one of the series we knew as a pre-teen like Sweet Valley High so it is familiar and comforting and likely to appeal to the YA demographic and doesn't rely too heavily on it's Much Ado About Nothing foundation. While there are references in the form of character names, quotations, and vague plot symmetry there isn't a dependence on Shakespeare's classic that might make the work feel stilted. ( )
  alicen3 | May 30, 2014 |
I have yet to find a cozy, coffee book that measures up to my expectations. This was an okay read, but I'm not hugely impressed.

I have to give this book credit where it's due: although this is categorized as a young adult novel, it doesn't fulfill the cliche of turning every little event into a life-or-death matter. Some mundane things happened and were treated mundanely, and some kind of crazy, gut-wrenching things happened and were in turn addressed as such. That being said, the end was a little cliche. I can deal with a happily-ever-after ending (if I must), but it was all a little too cleanly wrapped up, and in kind of an unbelievable way.

I can't say I'll pick the sequel up. ( )
  frozenplums | Jul 26, 2013 |
This is a book about friendships among different types of girls; it falls into the Chick Lit category, is entertaining, and has a good main character. The book takes it plot line from Shakespeare's "Much Ado About Nothing" and is a funny and "dramatically teen" read. The book is geared towards older teens (maybe grade 10 and up) as it does speak about teen sexuality and sex in somewhat frank and adult terms. ( )
  LaneLiterati | Feb 16, 2013 |
I loved this book it has such a unique plot line and great characters that I never felt bored or confused while reading it. Confessions of a Triple Shot Betty was fast paced but didn't rush and I cant wait to read the squeal. ( )
  LiDo0502 | Jan 31, 2011 |
Good book. It was a bit predictable, which I didn't like. This is more of a holiday than a just right.
  moran42093 | Oct 18, 2010 |

Geena can't wait to spend summer vacation at the Triple Shot Betty coffee shop with her best friend, Amber, and her cousin, Hero. But Amber and Hero hate each other on sight, and Geena's dreams of a girl-bonding summer fly out the window - then vanish entirely when a few cute (okay, drop-dead gorgeous) guys enter the picture. All is not what it seems, though, and in a story of mistaken identities, summer high jinks, and just enough romance, Geena and her friends learn that when Bettys unite, they can take on the most powerful force in their world: a hot guy.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:18 -0400)

Sixteen-year-olds Geena, Hero, and Amber spend the summer working at a Sonoma, California coffee shop, where they experience romance, identity crises, and newfound friendships.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,618,899 books! | Top bar: Always visible