Looks by Madeleine George

Looks (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Madeleine George

Member:meggyweg
Title:Looks
Authors:Madeleine George
Info:Speak (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:To read, In Library
Tags:young adult fiction

Looks by Madeleine George (2008)

Wow. Every word of this story is as deliberate and careful as Meaghan's observations and Aimee's obsessive routines over food. A background hum of tension forewarns readers not to underestimate these two girls. This is a novel of substance! ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I am not sure what made me dislike this book so much.

There were aspects of it that I did like. The descriptions and I felt that the author did a good job making me feel sick to my stomach when something awful happened to one of the characters but in the end I felt more depressed than any other emotion. I don't think I actually got anything from the book but a gloomy headache. Which I guess is good because a book is not supposed to make me feel comfortable with eating disorders I should not be comfortable with people bulling other people and people putting themselves down but I can't really bring myself to recommend the book to anyone (I did recommend it to one person and they had the same reaction I did so...)

Made me think but I didn't like it. ( )
  Rebecca790 | Sep 21, 2013 |
I don't know about this one...it had a lot of promise but it fell short. I found myself getting bored at parts and I don't really think the characters were fully developed by the ending. It wasn't what I fully wanted to read but it wasn't bad. Overall I'd say the language and wording was well done and a teenager might like this one.....it was just not for me. ( )
  DianaLynn5287 | Jun 21, 2013 |
I couldn't finish this book because I just didn't have it in me to go to the dark places teen novels so often take you these days. The story centers on a two girls: one extremely overweight and one terribly anorexic, who use food in similiar ways to express themselves. They navigate the deadly halls of high school and team up together to get revenge on those who have wronged them. This, as far as I could tell from the 50 or so pages I read, is the basic plot.
I just. couldn't. do . it.
On one hand, I feel like I have read this story so many times already since I took the plunge and started reading lots of teen fiction: disaffected teens, painful interactions with peers, betrayal, misery, etc. On the other hand, however, this author is an exceptionally good writer and I think she may have ultimately taken this tale in a more original direction than its predecessors.
I won't find out, though. Because I'm not going to read it!

KristySP | Apr 21, 2013 |
I read the book "Looks" by Madeleine George. Its about a girl named Meghan Ball. Kids at school say things about her right in front of her. Some of the things are about her size and she sometimes feels like she does not exist. This book is also about another girl named Aimee Zorn. Aimee is a very thin girl. Meghan and Aimee become friends because they find out they have something in common. This is a book I would recommend to others. ( )
  ctmsjamc | Dec 24, 2011 |
Start in the sky.

An unforgettable debut novel about the way we look at others, and the way we see ourselves.

Meghan Ball is both the most visible and the most invisible person in school. Her massive size is impossible to ignore, yet people freely spill their secrets in front of her, perhaps because they think she isn?t listening. But she is. Now her attention has turned to a new girl: Aimee Zorn, with her stick-figure body and defiant attitude. Meghan is determined to befriend Aimee, and when she ultimately succeeds, the two join forces to take down their shared enemy.

This provocative story explores the ways in which girls use food and their bodies to say what they cannot: I?m lonely.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:31 -0400)

Two high school girls, one an anorexic poet and the other an obese loner, form an unlikely friendship.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,161,232 books! | Top bar: Always visible