Looks by Madeleine George

Looks (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Madeleine George

2021658,111 (3.58)4
Member:meggyweg
Title:Looks
Authors:Madeleine George
Info:Speak (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:In Library, To read
Tags:young adult fiction

Looks by Madeleine George (2008)

I am not sure what made me dislike this book so much.

There were aspects of it that I did like. The descriptions and I felt that the author did a good job making me feel sick to my stomach when something awful happened to one of the characters but in the end I felt more depressed than any other emotion. I don't think I actually got anything from the book but a gloomy headache. Which I guess is good because a book is not supposed to make me feel comfortable with eating disorders I should not be comfortable with people bulling other people and people putting themselves down but I can't really bring myself to recommend the book to anyone (I did recommend it to one person and they had the same reaction I did so...)

Made me think but I didn't like it. ( )
  Rebecca790 | Sep 21, 2013 |
I don't know about this one...it had a lot of promise but it fell short. I found myself getting bored at parts and I don't really think the characters were fully developed by the ending. It wasn't what I fully wanted to read but it wasn't bad. Overall I'd say the language and wording was well done and a teenager might like this one.....it was just not for me. ( )
  DianaLynn5287 | Jun 21, 2013 |
I couldn't finish this book because I just didn't have it in me to go to the dark places teen novels so often take you these days. The story centers on a two girls: one extremely overweight and one terribly anorexic, who use food in similiar ways to express themselves. They navigate the deadly halls of high school and team up together to get revenge on those who have wronged them. This, as far as I could tell from the 50 or so pages I read, is the basic plot.
I just. couldn't. do . it.
On one hand, I feel like I have read this story so many times already since I took the plunge and started reading lots of teen fiction: disaffected teens, painful interactions with peers, betrayal, misery, etc. On the other hand, however, this author is an exceptionally good writer and I think she may have ultimately taken this tale in a more original direction than its predecessors.
I won't find out, though. Because I'm not going to read it!

KristySP | Apr 21, 2013 |
I read the book "Looks" by Madeleine George. Its about a girl named Meghan Ball. Kids at school say things about her right in front of her. Some of the things are about her size and she sometimes feels like she does not exist. This book is also about another girl named Aimee Zorn. Aimee is a very thin girl. Meghan and Aimee become friends because they find out they have something in common. This is a book I would recommend to others. ( )
  ctmsjamc | Dec 24, 2011 |
Looks by Madeleine George is about two freshmen girls struggling in a high school environment due to their very different physical appearances--one, Meghan, is extremely obese and one, Aimee, is extremely thin. George does a remarkable job of delineating the nuances of high school students, including how they act during passing periods in school and the way the students view their teachers as just teachers, not humans. Occasionally characters fall flat, such as Cara Roy and "J-Bar"--they are both too hyperbolized to be believable. What is most interesting is that these two main protagonists may look like polar opposites but their feelings and experiences are nearly identical. George emphasizes this fact towards the satisfactory end of the novel, stating a universal truth (that no matter how we appear on the outside, we are all similar on the inside) without becoming overly maudlin. Aimee's gift for poetry enhances the novel's diction without being a distraction and provides a welcome respite from the prose and teen-speak.

4Q 4P S

Here are some favorite quotes/passages:

"She gets flashes, quick vivid images, of all the foods she ate today, every single bite of every single item. She can see, like she's zooming down through the lens of an electron microscope, into the inner structure of each food, the ingredients and then the cell of the ingredients and then the proteins in the cells and then the molecules in the proteins that made up each thing she put in her mouth today. Rapidly she examines the vibrating molecular structures for fractures or tumors, anything that could be triggering an allergic reaction in her body, summoning other white blood cells from every corner of her body, all of them rushing like emergency personnel to the scene of the crime, globbing up into a goopy, translucent ball around the offending molecule and making her whole body heave and writhe, blinding her and deafening her in a flood of metallic pain..." (33).

"Aimee reaches for her coat, lying in a heap beside her on the rug, and extracts from the pocket the stack of poems she brought with her, folded up into a hard square of printer paper. She unfolds them into her lap and stares down at them. It's hard to know which one to bare in front of Cara--each one is so raw and personal. Reading any of them aloud will be like ripping off a Band-Aid and shoving the fresh wound beneath Cara's face" (104).

"The fat girl who loses her only friend sees, all at once, how everything works. She sees that all promises are fictions, all friendships are games with winners and losers. The fat girl left alone in the world sees that every human being has a value assigned to them that they are helpless to change no matter what they do, and she sees that people trade each other like baseball cards: three cheap friends for two valuable friends, a whole group of worthless friends for one popular friend. It's like dying and coming back to life, being a fat girl who loses her only friend; it gives you an insight into the people around you that the average person couldn't bear to have" (143-144). ( )
  amandacb | Sep 7, 2010 |
Start in the sky.

An unforgettable debut novel about the way we look at others, and the way we see ourselves.

Meghan Ball is both the most visible and the most invisible person in school. Her massive size is impossible to ignore, yet people freely spill their secrets in front of her, perhaps because they think she isn?t listening. But she is. Now her attention has turned to a new girl: Aimee Zorn, with her stick-figure body and defiant attitude. Meghan is determined to befriend Aimee, and when she ultimately succeeds, the two join forces to take down their shared enemy.

This provocative story explores the ways in which girls use food and their bodies to say what they cannot: I?m lonely.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:40 -0400)

Two high school girls, one an anorexic poet and the other an obese loner, form an unlikely friendship.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,507,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible