The Hostage by W. E. B. Griffin

The Hostage (2005)

by W. E. B. Griffin

Book 2 of 8....exciting chase around three continents...almost believable. Makes you wonder if this book was fashioned after an actual US Army special operator. However, there are some errors; the author believes that backwater South America is in CENTCOM's AOR when in actuality it's in SOUTHCOM's. They're both headquartered in Florida. I also wondered if interagency cooperation at that level (Army, Secret Service, FBI and State) wouldn't require so much paperwork and DC meetings so that the operation might be stifled before it started. The [unnamed] POTUS effectively stifles Secretarial kefuffles. Nevertheless, the action is exciting and I'm already in Book 3. ( )
  buffalogr | Dec 13, 2013 |
The hostage by W.E.B Griffin was a terrific book. The book deserves 5 stars for its stupendous writing. I loved this book throughout the whole thing.

Griffin tells the story of a man named Charley castillo(the Presidents agent) that go's to argentina to investigate a kidnapping. While he is there 2 of his friends are killed and another is injured.It is now his job to find whoever did it and render them harmles.

This was an allaround great book. I would reccomend this book to people in highschool and older. I look forward to reading Giffins next book, "The Hunters". ( )
  ctmsbrci | Dec 14, 2011 |
W.E.B. Griffin at his finest. If you enjoy any of his other series than you need to read this series. Good solid read. ( )
  nursewidener | Oct 6, 2010 |
Almost 500 pages with no action. The author seems to try to write occasional sentences that trail on forever as if in search of an editor. The final result is proof the search was fruitless. Despite some likable characters and a romp through cabinet-level (and up) power brokers, this is easily the worst book I've read in years. ( )
  ShadyNook | Aug 19, 2010 |
This is the second book with Charley Castillo doing his work for the President of the United States. This time the wife of a diplomat in Argentina has been kidnapped and no one has any clue who did it or what they are after. Castillo's job is to find out who, knew what and when, and to help in any way possible to get Mrs. Masterson back. It didn't take long for Charley to learn that the kidnapping is just the tip of the iceberg. The stakes keep going up, the presidents expectations of Castillo keep going up as well. Can Castillo get ahead of these people or is he doomed to be one step behind?

I really enjoyed listening to this book and I thought it was even better than the first one. There were quite a few places that made me laugh out loud. It also had a lot of twists and turns and I was surprised many times by the direction the story went. I highly recommend. ( )
  readafew | Jun 30, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515142409, Mass Market Paperback)

The second novel in W.E.B. Griffin's new bestselling series finds Presidential Agent Charley Castillo investigating the death of an American diplomat in Argentina, the kidnapping of the diplomat's wife, and a scandal tying the United Nations to Iraq.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:32 -0400)

Department of Homeland Security agent Charley Castillo conducts a discreet investigation involving the brother-in-law of a murdered diplomat, a man possessing key information about America's scandalous food-for-oil program.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,573,181 books! | Top bar: Always visible