Living Rich by Spending Smart by Gregory…

Living Rich by Spending Smart (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Gregory Karp (Author)

Member:lkmiller
Title:Living Rich by Spending Smart
Authors:Gregory Karp (Author)
Info:FT Press (2008), Ebook, 169 pages
Collections:Your library, To read, My ebooks
Tags:nonfiction, money, ebook, nook, own, checked, unread

Living Rich by Spending Smart: How to Get More of What You Really Want by Gregory Karp (2008)

Gregory Karp’s Living Rich by Spending Smart has as its main premise what is essentially a no-brainer: controlling what you spend is the key to building wealth. This book grew out of columns Karp wrote for the Tribune Company of newspapers beginning in 2004. In the columns, he didn’t focus on telling people what to do with excess money; rather, he talked about how to manage spending so that people could generate excess money in the first place.
Written in easy to understand English, Karp’s guide covers the waterfront, from how to avoid the worst spending habits, to strategies for intelligent spending on specific occasions like holidays, shopping and spending around the home, vacation spending, and financial services. In selecting bank accounts, for instance, he warns against paying banks to hold your money. Like I said, a no-brainer, but a spending mistake that millions make to their detriment.
Whether you’re just starting out in your working live, or you’re trying to make ends meet on retirement income, there’s something in this book that will help you become more financially secure.
Even though it was originally written in 2008, it’s a must-read in today’s uncertain economic times. A clear five stars. ( )
  Charles_Ray | Jul 5, 2013 |
Writing style is easy to read, but if you're a regular Clark Howard listener, there's not much new here. Book is likely targeted at people that are spending more than they are earning and it definitely does a good job of banging home that you've got to reduce your spending in order to get into financial shape.

I did learn that AAA offered some discounts that I was unaware of.
  lindend | Jan 2, 2011 |
Karp's book opened my eyes to some new ways of saving money, ways I hadn't even thought of before. I appreciate details and I found this book focusing on the details of how to save in small ways that can add up big over time. I recommend this book to those looking to squeeze more out of every dollar of their income. ( )
  bribaker2001 | Jun 29, 2009 |
I was only able to do a quick browse of this title, but there were enough articles that caught my eye and made me put it on hold at my library. ( )
  laurie_library | Oct 7, 2008 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have mixed feelings about this book. It certainly was full of good, important information but a lot of it is just simple common sense. There was very little in the way of tips that was new for me but I was reminded of a few things that I need to make more of an effort to do. My biggest problem with this book isn't a fair complaint - I'm Canadian and it's not. Most of the websites aren't applicable to me - and this book is full of them. That's great for an American but not so much for someone north of the border. A Canadian edition would be most welcome!

Bottom line - if you are American, you should read it and live by it. If you're not, it's not a total waste of your time but maybe look for something more local.
  janeycanuck | Jun 24, 2008 |

Award-winning Tribune Company personal finance columnist Gregory Karp shows how to build real, long-lasting wealth by plugging the money leaks you're barely even aware of, and making sure you spend with a purpose. He shows how to cut down spending on food, insurance, entertainment, education, and beyond.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Gregory Karp's book Living Rich by Spending Smart: How to Get More of What You Really Want was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,421,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible