The Star Fisher by Laurence Yep

The Star Fisher (1991)

by Laurence Yep

How people treat others due to their race.
  MGraysonk12 | Mar 26, 2012 |
Summary:
Joan Lee's parents speak very little English while her and her siblings speak very good English. They move from Ohio to West Virginia and they are met with struggles because they are immigrants and people do not accept them. Joan was born in America and believes herself to be American but no one else seems to believe her. She has courage throughout the book in proving that she belongs and great acts of kindness follow.

Personal Reaction:
I liked the book. I don't think it was really meant for children. The print is very small so you would probably have to read it to your child depending on their reading level and eyesight. Overall I think it brings up some unspoken things and how hard it is for immigrants in our country if we are not accepting of them.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Teach about different cultures in class and where people come from.
2. Learn another language in class. ( )
  SarahClick | Mar 8, 2012 |
First, I loved the fact that Yep put the English dialogue in italics! It makes the story so much more real and I loved knowing when the characters were speaking each language. Yep also describes the differences in relationships between the different ages. Through the story of the mother and father's immigration, I learned about the history of China. My favorite part of the book though was the humor and the characterization! I laughed out loud several times at the honest thoughts and replies of the characters. I also thought that the difficulties of the mother-daughter relationship were pretty universal and something all girls may relate to. I also liked how Yep brought up the topic of prejudices in general and how all people, regardless of race, may be subject to the hatred and ignorance of others. A beautifully written book that would teach students about part of American history, as well as about the struggles that Chinese immigrants faced and lead to thoughtful discussions about prejudice! Students may enjoy putting themselves in these characters' shoes and deciding what they would have done in similar situations. ( )
  dahabdabbler | Mar 6, 2010 |
In 1927, Joan Lee and her family move from Ohio to West Virginia. Joan's parents speak little english. Joan, her sister, and brother were raised in Ohio and speak really good english. At some they lead a very differnt culture than at school and out in the world around them. When they moved to West Virginia, some prejudice came into play. They get to know their friendly landlady, Mrs. Lucy. This book is a good story about the struggles of immmigrants and what they go through. I really liked the book. One thing I enjoyed is the detail that the author sometime brings in. You can picture it all so well as you read this book. I would read this book to go along witha social studies unit for the children to make that connection on what people really go through coming to America.
  carebear0811 | Oct 24, 2009 |
In 1927, Yep's mother moved with her parents and siblings from Ohio to West Virginia. Although her parents are immigrants with little English, the family had a good life in Ohio. But with the move to West Virginia, the family is brought up short by the prejudice that is demonstrated by some townsfolk. Fortunately, they are also confronted with great acts of kindness by other members of the town. Using the metaphor of the star fisher, who lives with one foot on the earth and one in the heavens, Yep convincingly uses his family's story to write a lovely book about family and friendship. ( )
  mzonderm | Dec 14, 2008 |
To Sister Rosemary Winklejohann
Author's Preface: West Virginia has always been more real to me than China.
I thought I knew what green was until we went to West Virginia

It is 1927, and Joan Lee and her family have just moved to West Virginia to open a laundry and start new lives. But the Lees are the first Chinese-Americans that Clarksburg has ever seen, and not everyone in town is ready to welcome them. "A forceful picture of prejudice and persecution . . . and a touching picture of courage and patience in enduring both."--Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:36 -0400)

Fifteen-year-old Joan Lee and her family find the adjustment hard when they move from Ohio to West Virginia in the 1920s.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,514,797 books! | Top bar: Always visible