Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley

Ghostgirl

by Tonya Hurley

English (43)  Spanish (1)  All (44)
I didn't really think there was a moral to this story or really a point. It was kinda fun to think about what it would be like to be a ghost though.. :) ( )
  Brinlie.Jill.Searle | Nov 22, 2016 |
Technically, I didn't read this ... I listened to it on CD. The story was okay, but listening to the wonderful Parker Posey trying to read a novel was painful and awkward.
I think I'll skip the CDs next time and read it myself. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
I was do excited to read this book. It just didn't live up to expectations. Charlotte is more obsessed with this boy at school than any normal girl would be. I thought this would be more interesting and less of a popularity contest. ( )
  rabidmunkee | Nov 7, 2014 |
This book is about a girl named charlotte Usher who in school wants to be popular. Who has a crush on a boy name Damen. Even an enemie name Petula. She feels practically imaginary. Until she ate a gummie bear after class and chocked who actually became invisable. Though even Charlottes dead she doesnt stop until she becomes popular.
This book is alright i mean its not the best book i have read. It has several mistakes. The characters are confusing. I dont like how they died and how it doesnt make sense.
  alianaM.B1 | Oct 28, 2013 |
Promising start, but the ending was illogical and made no sense. ( )
  buzzinglibrary | Jun 4, 2013 |
Charlotte Usher headed purposefully across the parking lot to the front doors of Hawthorne High, repeating her positive mantra -- "This year is different. This is my year."

Now I lay me down to sleep,

I pray the Lord my soul to keep.

And if I should die before I awake,

I pray the popular attend my wake.

Charlotte Usher feels practically invisible at school, and then one day she really is invisible. Even worse: she's dead. And all because she choked on a gummy bear. But being dead doesn't stop Charlotte from wanting to be popular; it just makes her more creative about achieving her goal.

If you thought high school was a matter of life or death, wait till you see just how true that is. In this satirical, yet heartfelt novel, Hurley explores the invisibility we all feel at some times and the lengths we'll go to be seen.

Praise for ghostgirl:

* Polished dark-and-deadpan humor, it's a natural fit with Gen Y, too." --Publishers Weekly (starred review)

* "[Tonya] beats out witty teen-speak like a punk-band drummer, keeping the narrative fast-paced and fun yet thought-provokingly heartwarming. Goofy, ghastly, intelligent, electrifying." --Kirkus (starred review)

*"Tim Burton and Edgar Allan Poe devotees will die for this fantastic, phantasmal read." --School Library Journal (starred review)

* "Readers with a taste for black humor and satire will feast on Hurley's crisp, wise dialogue. Anticipate a well deserved cult following." --VOYA (starred review)

"Written with deadpan wit...this is a 'Wonderful Life'-like tale." -New York Post

"A sincere (and humorous) exploration of how we all feel invisible at one time or another...perfect read." -CosmoGirl

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:03 -0400)

After dying, high school senior Charlotte Usher is as invisible to nearly everyone as she always felt, but despite what she learns in a sort of alternative high school for dead teens, she clings to life while seeking a way to go to the Fall Ball with the boy of her dreams.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,038,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible