Eläimet ja muu kotiväkeni by…

Eläimet ja muu kotiväkeni (original 1956; edition 1988)

by Gerald Durrell, Martta Eskelinen ((KÄÄnt.).)

2,740None2,138 (4.28)245
Member:sampsak
Title:Eläimet ja muu kotiväkeni
Authors:Gerald Durrell
Other authors:Martta Eskelinen ((KÄÄnt.).)
Info:Helsingissä [Hki] : Otava, 1988.
Tags:kauno, ympäristö, elämänkerta

My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell (1956)

20th century (35) animals (187) autobiography (199) biography (157) biology (14) British (25) British literature (14) childhood (30) comedy (23) Corfu (100) Durrell (12) English (12) English literature (18) family (58) fiction (77) Folio Society (28) Gerald Durrell (16) Greece (132) humor (185) literature (13) memoir (228) natural history (89) nature (102) non-fiction (172) own (13) read (36) to-read (31) travel (64) wildlife (21) zoology (22)

English (70)  Spanish (5)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (78)
This is one of my all time most favorite books. It has fascinating natural history and hysterical stories of an unusual family living on Corfu. It is great as an audiobook and in print. I constantly give it as a gift to friends. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Gerald Durrell tells the story of his family's move from England to Corfu when he was ten years old. Gerry, the youngest, is thoroughly immersed in natural history, so the island is a treasure trove for him. His family, as presented by him, are delightful: Larry, the oldest, a writer and a bit of a snob; Leslie, the hunting enthusiast; Margo, of the mixed metaphors; and best of all, his mother, who glides through all the adventures and takes them as they come. A totally delightful book. Everything else he has written is going straight to my wish list. ( )
  tloeffler | Jan 12, 2014 |
This book was one of my favourites when I was a child. Incredibly funny and filled with affection for all living creatures. ( )
  Beholderess | Dec 20, 2013 |
Gerald Durrell's memoir of his childhood years in Corfu between the wars.

I last read this about 35 years ago. The descriptive passages are rather more leisurely than they seemed then, but the narrative is still very, very funny. It's not safe to read it in public unless you don't mind people watching you howl with laughter. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Dec 4, 2013 |
Wonderful, funny story of 5 years of a boy's life with his family and animals on the island of Corfu. ( )
  genejo1 | Oct 13, 2013 |
"It is a melancholy of mine own, compounded of many simples, extracted from many objects, and indeed the sundry contemplation of my travels, which, by often rumination, wraps me in a most humorous sadness."--As You Like It
To My Mother
This is the story of a five-year sojourn that I and my family made on the Greek island of Corfu.
From that moment I guarded the nest jealously. I erected a protecting wall of rocks round it, and as an additional precaution I wrote out a notice in red ink and stuck it on a pole nearby as a warning to the family. The notice read: "BEWAR - EARWIG NEST - QUIAT PLESE." It was only remarkable in that the two correctly spelt words were biological ones.
Gradually the magic of the island settled over us as gently and clingingly as pollen. Each day had a tranquility, a timelessness, about it, so that you wished it would never end. But then the dark skin of night would peel off and there would be a fresh day waiting for us, glossy and colorful as a child's transfer and with the same tinge of unreality.
'But how did the scorpions get on the table, dear?’
'That bloody boy. . . . Every matchbox in the house is a deathtrap. . . . '
My family and other animals is by Gerald (Malcolm) Durrell

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142004413, Paperback)

As a self-described "champion of small uglies," English writer Gerald Durrell (1925-1995) devoted his life to writing and the preservation of wildlife, from the Mauritius pink pigeon to the Rodriques fruit bat. My Family and Other Animals was intended to embrace the natural history of the Greek island of Corfu, but ended up as a delightful account of his family's experiences that were, according to him, "rather like living in one of the more flamboyant and slapstick comic operas."

As a 10-year-old boy, Gerry left England for Corfu with "all those items that I thought necessary to relieve the tedium of a long journey: four books on natural history, a butterfly net, a dog, and a jam-jar full of caterpillars all in imminent danger of turning into chrysalids." Durrell's descriptions of his family and its many eccentric hangers-on (he stresses that "all the anecdotes about the island and the islanders are absolutely true") are highly entertaining, as is the procession of toads, scorpions, geckos, ladybugs, glowworms, octopuses, the puppies Widdle and Puke, and the Magenpies. This is a lovely book.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:41 -0400)

A memoir of an English boy growing up on the Greek island of Corfu recounts the author's humorous adventures as he collects all kinds of animals and insects and brings them back to the house, much to his family's dismay.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321873, 0141037474, 0241951461

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,487,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible