Eläimet ja muu kotiväkeni by…

Eläimet ja muu kotiväkeni (original 1956; edition 1988)

by Gerald Durrell, Martta Eskelinen ((KÄÄnt.).)

Member:sampsak
Title:Eläimet ja muu kotiväkeni
Authors:Gerald Durrell
Other authors:Martta Eskelinen ((KÄÄnt.).)
Info:Helsingissä [Hki] : Otava, 1988.
Tags:kauno, ympäristö, elämänkerta

My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell (1956)

English (74)  Spanish (5)  Catalan (2)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (83)
Durrell describes his childhood on the Greek island of Corfu, with his interesting family. As he was often left to his own devices all day long, he spent his time prowling the island observing myriad insects and small animals, catching them when he could. He brought home a wide variety of small creatures- turtles, birds, fish, lizards and so on- continually upsetting his family when they found scorpions in the matchbox or snakes in the bathtub. Finally they realized he wasn't going to abandon his interests, and gave him a room of his own to dedicate to his nature studies and growing collection. He was also blessed to have a series of personal tutors who recognized and shared, each in their own way, his passion for nature. Aside from the descriptions of animals and his minor adventures with his dogs finding, watching and catching things, there's also plenty of hilarious stories about incidents in his family. It's a delightful book, one of the best Durrell I've read so far... The animals and descriptions of the countryside definitely stand out to me. His observations of male tortoises wrestling during the mating season and of a large preying mantis battling with a gecko on his bedroom ceiling were the best parts of the book.

more at the Dogear Diary ( )
  jeane | Apr 5, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book very much. The family stories are really funny. The imagery in the writing is exceptional and worth the time on their own.

grandpahobo | Mar 23, 2015 |
Childhood of famous naturalist and author: pre-WWII ( )
  sterlingelanier | Feb 19, 2015 |
My Family and Other Animals always springs to mind when I think about what my favourite books are. The story of the Durrells' sojourn on the island of Corfu, it blends laugh out loud humour with animals small and large observed by the keen eye of young Gerry, ever the naturalist. The people with whom Durrell populates this book are wonderful and larger-than-life, especially Theo, Gerry's tutor, and Spiro, the Greek who falls in love with the family, and whose English is hilariously awful. One of the best books ever, I cannot recommend it too highly. ( )
  ahef1963 | Nov 9, 2014 |
Usually when I read or watch television, I don't tend to laugh out loud, even if I find something humorous. There are the exceptions that make me chuckle once, but never again, like Friends or Bossypants. Not that these aren't funny, but I don't need to verbally express my appreciation of the jokes I've seen, heard, read before.

And then there are the rare works that get me EVERY time, like Seinfeld and My Family and Other Animals. Try as I might, I cannot stop laughing.

Oh boy, do I love this book. I love it to pieces. Idyllic, witty, visual, quirky, and, of course, hilarious, Gerald Durrell's memoir of his family's time on Corfu will put a smile on my face whenever I open it. It won't matter if I am 22 or 102; I will laugh, I will guffaw, I will snort, I will hoot with mirth and happiness.

And for that, this incredible little book has my eternal devotion and respect. ( )
  MollyRYoung | Aug 14, 2014 |
"It is a melancholy of mine own, compounded of many simples, extracted from many objects, and indeed the sundry contemplation of my travels, which, by often rumination, wraps me in a most humorous sadness."--As You Like It
To My Mother
This is the story of a five-year sojourn that I and my family made on the Greek island of Corfu.
From that moment I guarded the nest jealously. I erected a protecting wall of rocks round it, and as an additional precaution I wrote out a notice in red ink and stuck it on a pole nearby as a warning to the family. The notice read: "BEWAR - EARWIG NEST - QUIAT PLESE." It was only remarkable in that the two correctly spelt words were biological ones.
Gradually the magic of the island settled over us as gently and clingingly as pollen. Each day had a tranquility, a timelessness, about it, so that you wished it would never end. But then the dark skin of night would peel off and there would be a fresh day waiting for us, glossy and colorful as a child's transfer and with the same tinge of unreality.
'But how did the scorpions get on the table, dear?’
'That bloody boy. . . . Every matchbox in the house is a deathtrap. . . . '
My family and other animals is by Gerald (Malcolm) Durrell

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142004413, Paperback)

As a self-described "champion of small uglies," English writer Gerald Durrell (1925-1995) devoted his life to writing and the preservation of wildlife, from the Mauritius pink pigeon to the Rodriques fruit bat. My Family and Other Animals was intended to embrace the natural history of the Greek island of Corfu, but ended up as a delightful account of his family's experiences that were, according to him, "rather like living in one of the more flamboyant and slapstick comic operas."

As a 10-year-old boy, Gerry left England for Corfu with "all those items that I thought necessary to relieve the tedium of a long journey: four books on natural history, a butterfly net, a dog, and a jam-jar full of caterpillars all in imminent danger of turning into chrysalids." Durrell's descriptions of his family and its many eccentric hangers-on (he stresses that "all the anecdotes about the island and the islanders are absolutely true") are highly entertaining, as is the procession of toads, scorpions, geckos, ladybugs, glowworms, octopuses, the puppies Widdle and Puke, and the Magenpies. This is a lovely book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:22 -0400)

A memoir of an English boy growing up on the Greek island of Corfu recounts the author's humorous adventures as he collects all kinds of animals and insects and brings them back to the house, much to his family's dismay.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321873, 0141037474, 0241951461

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,871,979 books! | Top bar: Always visible