The Alchemy of Stone by Ekaterina Sedia

The Alchemy of Stone (2008)

by Ekaterina Sedia

Open Me by Sunshine O'Donnell (bertilak)
    Rats and Gargoyles by Mary Gentle (bertilak)
    The Etched City by K. J. Bishop (rarm)
    The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson (majkia)
    majkia: Both books take place in the midst of social upheaval and both portray worlds far from perfect. The class divisions are highlighted and one sees how so many individuals' lives can easily be diminished in a Victorian sort of steampunk culture.

English (30)  Polish (1)  All (31)
Abandoned @ 11%. I'm just not finding it very interesting.
  natcontrary | May 21, 2018 |
But there was something – maybe the very juvenile prose – that kept me from being entirely swept along with it. Perhaps it’s a failure to write strong relationships: I didn’t see Mattie’s connection to Sebastian at all. The one to her master, Loharri, was there and interesting, though I didn’t exactly feel that she was prepared to allow him to be harmed. However, there were plenty of interesting ideas – the gargoyles, use of blood alchemy were cool. It’s never exactly explained how Mattie’s mind/feelings work, though. I appreciate Sedia’s willingness to kill her character, though I was never particularly emotionally invested in her. ( )
  elucubrare | Feb 9, 2018 |
Best described as a character study of a sentient automaton. The love/hate relationship 'Mattie' has with her creator is fascinating and, at times, disturbing. A unique and interesting read. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
Odd steampunk-fantasy revolving around gargoyles and a clockwork girl who fights for her freedom from her creator.
  LibraryGirl11 | Dec 6, 2016 |
I took a chance on this one, finding Sedia on a list somewhere of great undiscovered writers you've never read [possibly on a steampunk list or because her other book, The Secret History of Moscow was recommended by Neil Gaiman, who I still follow despite recent disappointments] and certainly her Russian origin interested me. But the book didn't pull me in like I was hoping it would.

It's a compelling setting she's created, though perhaps not the most original, with alchemists pitted against machinists, with a touch of magical realism (see: gargoyles) sprinkled in. It could have been interesting enough, given more depth. But too many questions arose. Why are these two factions competing? Surely their areas of expertise don't overlap enough to make them competitors. And competitors for what? None of that was really explored. Then she threw in a third faction, miners, and really confused the whole thing. The conflict didn't have any roots to pull me along. I just didn't care.

Nor did I care for most of the characters. The main, and automaton named Mattie, was key to the entire story but she didn't do anything to draw me in. Everyone she interacted with was one dimensional. The only character who really interested me was the blind "Soul Smoker" who got killed off in the third act without much narrative reasoning behind it and even he was just there to provide Mattie with information.

I think this could have been so much more. I give it 3 stars just for the quality of the writing (and the translation, which was especially good) and the unusual setting. ( )
  invisiblelizard | Jun 1, 2014 |

Ekaterina Sediaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Segal, Stephen H.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my sister
We scale the rough bricks of the building's facade. Their crumbling edges soften under our claw-like fingers; they jut out of the flat, adenoid face of the wall to provide easy footholds. We could've used fire escapes, we could've climbed up, up, past the indifferent faces of the walls, their windows cataracted with shutters; we could've bounded up in the joyful cacophany of corrugated metal and barely audible whispers of the falling rust shaken loose by our ascent. We could've flown.

Mattie, an intelligent automaton skilled in the use of alchemy, finds herself caught in the middle of a conflict between gargoyles, the Mechanics, and the Alchemists. With the old order quickly giving way to the new, Mattie discovers powerful and dangerous secrets - secrets that can completely alter the balance of power in the city of Ayona. However, this doesn't sit well with Loharri, the Mechanic who created Mattie and still has the key to her heart - literally! A steampunk novel of romance, political intrigue, and alchemy, The Alchemy of Stone represents a new and intriguing direction by the author of the critically-acclaimed The Secret History of Moscow:

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:34 -0400)

Mattie, an intelligent automaton skilled in the use of alchemy, finds herself caught in the middle of a conflict between gargoyles, the Mechanics and the Alchemists. With the old order quickly giving way to the new, Mattie discovers powerful and dangerous secrets - secrets that can completely alter the balance of power in the city of Ayona.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,453,113 books! | Top bar: Always visible