The Alchemy of Stone by Ekaterina Sedia

The Alchemy of Stone (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Ekaterina Sedia

445None23,347 (3.79)80
Member:carmenclayton
Title:The Alchemy of Stone
Authors:Ekaterina Sedia
Info:Prime Books (2009), Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Seattle Public Library

The Alchemy of Stone by Ekaterina Sedia (2008)

Open Me by Sunshine O'Donnell (bertilak)
    Rats and Gargoyles by Mary Gentle (bertilak)
    The Etched City by K. J. Bishop (rarm)
    The Diamond Age: Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer by Neal Stephenson (majkia)
    majkia: Both books take place in the midst of social upheaval and both portray worlds far from perfect. The class divisions are highlighted and one sees how so many individuals' lives can easily be diminished in a Victorian sort of steampunk culture.

English (27)  Polish (1)  All languages (28)
I just could not get into this book. Granted it was due to the library the next day so I skimmed most of it. ( )
  renrav | Sep 22, 2013 |
I feel like an odd one out, here. I expected to love this, and people whose opinions I trust really loved it, often giving it five stars. But it never came together for me: I wasn't sure what the main story was meant to be, what I was meant to take away from it. I never really managed to picture Sedia's world or characters, or connect whatever dots I was meant to connect.

Partially, probably, this is because I didn't want to. The relationship between Mattie and her creator is a powerful one, and he's a disturbing character. I found him cruel, manipulative -- abusive, even. He creates her with the capacity for independence but keeps her chained to him, makes her to serve him but gives her the intelligence to resent it, makes a person with free will in a world that won't accept her as a person at all. He gives her the illusion of freedom, the illusion that she can do and be what she wants, but keeps her close with the horrible joint leash of pity for him and need of his key. He creates an autonomous creature, but then disregards what she wants and needs. The thing about her faces hurt me the most, the way he ignores her preferences and tries to shape her personhood with his own.

It's powerful writing, in that sense, but I didn't connect with it, and I don't think I really wanted to. There are some other really powerful parts, beautiful parts even, but it all seems so sad, so worn down, that I didn't want to feel that power. ( )
2 vote shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
a leisurely-paced tale, far more interesting for the fully realized and multi-dimensional characters than any mechanics of plot. beautiful, lush prose, rich with sensory information (the smell of bleach, the sound of wooden heels tapping) creates an immersive reading experience, but you need to be in the right mood for the thoughtful pace. ( )
  fireweaver | Mar 31, 2013 |
  fireweaver | Mar 31, 2013 |
This book is incredibly complex, and I'm having a hard time coming up with a good review for it.

There are so many issues all hitting at the same time. And interestingly, the whole uprising of some of the classes in this book happens as the same time of the Occupy movement, and it feels so real.

I (naturally) focused more on the sexual politics of the book. You have an automaton, not just made to serve her master, but made as a woman (down to her built in whalebone corset, so she will ALWAYS be feminine and a woman outwardly first) to serve as a woman should. It's an interesting look at a woman trying to break free of the social/physical/intimate bonds of her femininity while there's still class struggle, environmental shenanigans and so, so much else going on in this book.

J'adore. ( )
  suzemo | Mar 31, 2013 |

Ekaterina Sediaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Segal, Stephen H.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my sister
We scale the rough bricks of the building's facade. Their crumbling edges soften under our claw-like fingers; they jut out of the flat, adenoid face of the wall to provide easy footholds. We could've used fire escapes, we could've climbed up, up, past the indifferent faces of the walls, their windows cataracted with shutters; we could've bounded up in the joyful cacophany of corrugated metal and barely audible whispers of the falling rust shaken loose by our ascent. We could've flown.

Mattie, an intelligent automaton skilled in the use of alchemy, finds herself caught in the middle of a conflict between gargoyles, the Mechanics, and the Alchemists. With the old order quickly giving way to the new, Mattie discovers powerful and dangerous secrets - secrets that can completely alter the balance of power in the city of Ayona. However, this doesn't sit well with Loharri, the Mechanic who created Mattie and still has the key to her heart - literally! A steampunk novel of romance, political intrigue, and alchemy, The Alchemy of Stone represents a new and intriguing direction by the author of the critically-acclaimed The Secret History of Moscow:

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:53 -0400)

Mattie, an intelligent automaton skilled in the use of alchemy, finds herself caught in the middle of a conflict between gargoyles, the Mechanics and the Alchemists. With the old order quickly giving way to the new, Mattie discovers powerful and dangerous secrets - secrets that can completely alter the balance of power in the city of Ayona.… (more)

191 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,502,567 books! | Top bar: Always visible