Accidents in the Home by Tessa Hadley

Accidents in the Home

by Tessa Hadley

This was a well written story and an interesting book but I struggled with it and I don't think I will want to read it again. The main plot is one that has been done many times before and in an attempt to make it new in this case the author interspaced it with subplots about various family members that made the book confusing and a little hard to follow.

Clare and Helly have been friends since childhood. Clare is a busy wife and mother, married to Bram and living in virtuous 'posh-but-poor' near poverty while Helly is an actress who has just recently starred in an ad campaign that has brought her some serious financial rewards. When Helly arrives at Clare and Bram's house for an overnight Christmas stay looking glamourous and with a handsome film industry boyfriend in tow Clare starts to feel a little jealous, until the moment she realises she once had sex with Helly's new man at a drunken teenage party years before and both women realise the other now has something she wants for herself.

I did like the book but found the sub-plots in which the reader suddenly finds themselves reading about Clare's odd collection of relatives with no explanation as to why a bit confusing and startling as the plot jumps without warning from Clare's contemplation of a new life to scenes of her mother and grandfather struggling to maintain his independence in old age or her ex-step-mothers new lesbian relationship.

As books of this type (with this plot) go, this is one of the better that I have read but it does require a lot of concentration and some of the sub-plots were unnecessary for the rest of the book and seemed to be there to make up the word count rather than for added value to the story. ( )
  Jodyreadseverything | Oct 20, 2010 |
This book didn't really ever go anywhere, or when it did we weren't there. It takes you up to the point where something is going to happen, jumps to another place or time, and comes back to find the "something" happened without you. I was very disappointed in it. ( )
  BinnieBee | Jun 2, 2007 |
I had a difficult time getting through this book. The indivual family vignettes were enjoyable enough but the way the author flipped between them left me to consult the family tree at the front of the book on multiple occassions. Certainy I wasn't the only one or it wouldn't have been there. Just OK. Wouldn't recommend. ( )
  annaj0013 | Apr 15, 2007 |

Clare Menges is the twenty-nine-year-old suburban mother of three, but her comfortable world is disrupted when her best friend’s lover appears in her life. Anyway Clare’s perfect life was never what it seemed; the world of her family is a complicated and fraught web of marriages and divorces, half-siblings and stepchildren, broken homes and homes reassembled. As Clare’s relationships begin to unravel, she notices her life repeating the patterns of those around her. Tessa Hadley constructs a beautifully fashioned and intimate portrait of family life in our times.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:40 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,574,222 books! | Top bar: Always visible