Trigger city by Sean Chercover

Trigger city (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Sean Chercover

Title:Trigger city
Authors:Sean Chercover
Info:New York : Harper, 2009, c2008.
Tags:fiction, 2013, read

Trigger City by Sean Chercover (2008)

A lonely woman was murdered by her disturbed coworker. Fact: The police have investigated. Fact: The case is closed. But facts are not truth. And the truth was supposed to stay buried with the dead.

Still suffering the physical and emotional consequences of going up against the Chicago Outfit, PI Ray Dudgeon needs an easy gig. A routine investigation of an open-and-shut case sounds perfect. The job is a loser, but the pay is good, and maybe ( )
  Tutter | Feb 26, 2015 |
Second in the series. Well done. Good characters. Good carryover from the first book. I will keep reading this series. ( )
  librarian1204 | Apr 27, 2013 |
I was stunned to learn Sean Chercover is not native to Chicago -- in Trigger City, he captured the tempo, the rhythm, the flavor of the city, with all its grit and glory -- and wrote a damned exciting mystery/thriller novel in the process. When's the next one due, Sean? ( )
  lindasuebrown | Mar 17, 2011 |
This is the second book to feature the PI Ray Dudgeon and like the first I'm still trying to figure out if its good or not. This time the story involves military contractors and selling secrets to China. There's also a fair smattering of Ray's private life involving a girlfriend who can't accept what he does for a living, a friend from childhood with personal demons whose also a merc, and Ray's recovery from injuries sustained in the last book. Its a good fast moving plot that will keep you interested until the end. The characters are engaging though some times they feel like they've been cut from the pages of the detective fiction catalogue. This is one of those books that every time you become almost completely swept up in action the author will write a couple pages that are so wooden it jars you back. So my hope is that he continues to write and those pages become less and less. ( )
  norinrad10 | Feb 10, 2011 |
Quintessentially Chicago: This is a very "noir" crime novel, as in the likes of Dashiell Hammett. Ray is a deeply flawed, very violent man, with a penchant for introspection. The character is drawn with exquisite detail. So is the city of Chicago in which it takes place. The plot hums along at a most satisfactory pace. This award-winning novel is a must for all Chicagoans, and for devotees of crime fiction everywhere. ( )
  EvaGannon | Mar 6, 2010 |
To Barbara and Murray Chercover, who gave me a running start, picked me up when I fell, and loved me anyway. And to my sister, Holly, with more love than I can say.
Facts are not truth.
[Talking to Ray Dudgeon]

Richmond was saying..."hiring you was not my first choice, believe me. But it was the best choice we had, given the circumstances."

The facts:

A lonely woman was murdered by her disturbed coworker.

The police have investigated. The case is closed.

But facts are not truth.

A routine investigation of an open-and-shut case is just what PI Ray Dudgeon needs to recover from the physical and emotional consequences of confronting the Chicago Outfit—until "routine" spirals out of control. The victim was no quiet, unassuming, unlucky single woman; she lived a double life in the shadowy realm of covert intelligence . . . and she died for the truth. Suddenly, Ray's ensnared in a conspiracy of darkness that weaves its way through the very fabric of the nation, and in grave danger of becoming collateral damage in America's war on terror. And his greatest enemy may be himself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:37 -0400)

Investigating the death of a shy, unassuming woman for a grieving father brings Chicago PI Ray Dudgeon into a covert war between private contractors and the darkest sectors of our own government --a war that stretches from the closed-door hearings of Congress to the frontlines of Iraq.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,857,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible